PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fisheri

Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
As a part-time maker, I can say that morta is in fact harder to work with generally (splinters) and has a reputation for burning out more easily. That said, I haven’t had one returned yet. It’s not surefire, but chances go way down if the maker is very attentive to sanding the bowl. And I would never send one out without a bowl coating for insurance. I’ve only had one burnout on a pipe that I couldn’t sell for other reasons. No coating. Ended up a shop pipe so I didn’t take all the precautions I should have.

Morta really does make for some nice pipes — and if well made shouldn’t give you troubles. Good the maker is replacing. I mean, in the end, we’re putting fire in wood. Sometimes the wood just wants to ignite.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've had far worse happen with briar, probably due to my smoking too hot. I just keep smoking them and nothing happens. I don't believe in putting a barricade between the wood and the tobacco. Why not just smoke clay? Or meerschaum? (I know nothing about morta, and probably never will.)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So I would like to have a little update here.

The replacement morta arrived and it looks amazing. For this pipe, I decide to coat it with some sour cream and activated charcoal for some extra protection on the chamber. I am also gonna build some cake for it which I dont normally do on my briar pipes. Hope it works out this time.

For the maiden voyage, I smoked some Grand Croupier Boneyard with it, tasty as always!

Keep smoking everyone!

View attachment 296832

View attachment 296833
I like the original but that's not an ugly pipe 😍

Reactions: Choatecav