Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I can't believe how fast time is going and the show is already less than two weeks away. It seems like just a couple of days ago we were talking about making plans to go and now it is almost here.
I can't wait!

jkkaumanua

Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
I ordered one ounce of #412A Billy Budd to sample and was not impressed at all. It was so dry that it actually sucked all the moisture out of my throat every time that I exhaled it through my nostrils. So far I have sampled 3 Balkan blends, and this is the only one that I did not enjoy.
The rest of the tobaccos that I ordered from this supplier were in fine shape, but I think this batch of Billy Budd may have been a very stale sample and therefore not a good representation of this tobacco at its best.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
You should call them up an let them know. From what I have heard, C&D will take care of you. Also, PipeFriendCHS complained of the same thing very recently on YouTube and they did indeed replace his Billy Budd.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Great review, Bob. Not sure if I'll try this or not. I haven't been really impressed with the C&D blends I have tried thus far. They just don'e seem to be for me. Of course, YMMV.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Jkk, when I first tried Billy Budd, I didn't care for it too much either. But it ended up being one of those blends for me that the more I smoked it, the more I liked it.
I wouldn't classify Billy Budd as a Balkan blend. I would call it more of a latakia/cigar leaf blend.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
C&D, the only brand in almost 50 years I ever had a mold problem with... twice. And they wouldn't replace it.

jkkaumanua

Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
I probably won't bother calling C&D for a replacement, but thanks for the advice Onizuka. If I had ordered more than one ounce I might make the effort, so I will remember that option in the future.
Bob - You're probably right that I might like it more if I smoked more of it. That is what happened with the Westminster that I tried. But like I said, I'm pretty sure I got a bad batch of this tobacco, so smoking more of it would probably not make a difference in this case.
Thanks for all the advice eveyone. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.