PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
@ray47. I gotcha.
Anyone else getting wetness/gurgling? I rarely have that problem with a cob but both of these are wet smokers.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I haven't noticed a gurgling in my new cob, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I've smoked 10 bowls thru the cob but the blends I smoked are not known to gurgle in any pipe. I tend to stay away from so called Wet Blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Ray I'll check it out.
Yeah I've been smoking that dark stoved which is a dry stoved virginia so I was kind of surprised I was getting a little gurgling on both pipes.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep mine gurlgled yesterday. Pipe cleaner fixed it. Today I occasionally stuck a pipe cleaner down it and got no gurgle. It's the stem. The only other cob I've had that gurgles is my Morgan. I drilled the stem out on that one and it stopped.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Speaking of wet blends, my last batch of Haunted Bookshop was dry as shit, but it leaves a wet chamber in every cob I smoke it in. Not so much in my meer or briars.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
These are back in stock on Smoking Pipes. I ordered the Charles Towne Cobbler and my first tin of Black Frigate.

Jan 8, 2013
and my first tin of Black Frigate.
Welcome aboard the Black Frigate matey! Put on your eyepatch and don't scratch your pistachios with your hook, and you'll be just fine! Haha, seriously though, it's a fantastic blend, and I bet you'll love it.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Just to also up to date with the cob fashion I also bought one ....

The Elf Cobbit :) :)

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
i just got my first pipe on Christmas and was a MM Rob Roy . And i love it . It seems the more i smoke that pipe the sweeter it is

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Hmmmm. I'm glad I just put in March's order or else the wife might be mad I got another one. The Carolina Gent is really looking good right now.

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
I have collected approx 20 briars in my pipe smoking career thus far. I get around to smoking them all though I developed favorites. I smoke mainly 1 aro blend (lanes BCA, Lanes RPL6 and lanes 1Q mixed in almost equal parts). I do enjoy english/orientals about 3 times a week. About 2 weeks ago I got a MM legend. Well folks, for a mostly one blend, aro smoking young codger, it was amazing. Cool... Dry.... hardly a drop of moisture on the pipe cleaner after a bowl. Amazing. Now, I have to say I am glad I learned on briar. I don’t think I would have developed the patience and cadence I have if I started on a cob. I’m still a little shocked about how dry they smoke and how amazingly functional they are. I ordered a country gent which somehow smoked a little better than the legend. The price is great too. I don’t really see them as disposable per say. The ones with the hardwood plugs seem to last folks a while. In any case I’ll be buying cobs a couple times a year because I want to support MM and I do love getting new pipes in the mail. I live in northern Canada so the shipping from MM is more than the cost of most of their pipes! So worth it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
When I ordered the new reverse calabash cob last week, I added a few other cobs to my cart, including a couple Rob Roy pipes. I realize they're just gussied up flat bottomed Washington and Legend pipes, but I like them a lot. Before I was just a guy with a cob pipe, but now I'm a member of an exclusive club ;-)
And I'm keeping an eye on the MM site hoping to snag one of those red stemmed beauties.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Just a heads up, these Charles Towne Cobbler are back in stock, I know they have been out for at least a month or two that I've been checking. Just picked one up today!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one MM cob with a softie over the plastic stem, but my others were either bought with acrylic or Vulcanite stems or equipped with Forever acrylic stems. Just my preference. Once I have those, MM's are no longer disposable pipes. They improve over time and are masters for Americana burley blends of different types. The softie on the stem is okay but it is more to keep up with for cleaning, for me. It's all personal. You want it just the way you like it, however that is.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Curl: No problem, enjoy!
mso489: Agreed, but Forever is not currently taking new orders last I checked and I don't know other good sources that are known to specifically fit MM, you?

Status
Not open for further replies.