PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I'm with ya. I find these days that I buy one and then they dry out on a shelf somewhere while I smoke my pipe at the BBQ instead of the cigar as planned.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Cigars were also my first love and I still enjoy one every now and again. It is funny when I first got into pipes because I was a big maduro fan...big, bold, smack you in face flavors and body. Give me a strong cup o' joe or a whiskey and a cigar and life was good. The pipe seemed timid at first, even with Latakia, Perique, and other strong tobaccos. Now that I am actually understanding HOW to smoke a pipe (a cigar you pretty much figure out your first time)I am getting different nuances and notes that I wasn't getting from cigars. I smoked one over the weekend and while it was quite enjoyable I noticed how little work went into it. Yes I had to unwrap it, cut it, get a good light and ensure the cap end was still intact, but after that it was just puff time, to whatever cadence I wanted. I think both are enjoyable and each has their own ritual, but have been leaning HEAVY toward the pipe in the last 7 months.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Good for you, I still love cigars & have 1 or 2 every day. But I don't feel that Cuban's are worth the premium.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I feel you tamer291.
I just love my pipe too much now. I use to smoke cigars and then tried to go back when I was hooked up with some. I gave them away. Just wasn't the same to me. Not feeling cigars anymore.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Tamer, I'm in pretty much the same boat with you. I find my pipes to be much better! I never really got big into cigars either, mainly just a social thing. I've smoked some high end cigars, including real Cubans, and didn't ever really care for the "true cigar" experience. The few cigars I do still occasionally enjoy would be considered blasphemy to a purist cigar enthusiast. The ones I actually enjoy are ; Tatiana "Groovy Blues" and Backwoods "Black & Aromatics" and "Honey Berrys". The last "true" cigar I smoked was a CAO "Americana", and I was not impressed. I'll stick with my pipes thank you!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Cigar smoker for many moons but the last year have really gone the way of the pipe. However I like to start my day with a good cup of coffee and a cigar in my hot tub. I can do a pipe but the cigar is much easier to smoke while in the tub so for that reason I start my day with one. The rest of the day is with my beloved pipes.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I smoke maybe 1-2 cigars a year. I like cigars, but not as much as I like the variety pipe smoking offers.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I really enjoy cigars and will smoke them ocassionally, though that's less and less often simply due to prices. On a college budget, they simply don't make sense. I'll still buy one of my favorites (Rocky Patel, Perdomo or Ashton) for a special event or a night when I plan on smoking one with some of the guys. Otherwise, I still enjoy pipes a bit more and the tobacco is ridiculously cheap by comparison.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A really great bravo cigar can have a really nasty lingering aftertaste as compared to a great pipe tobacco. Both

pipes and cigars have the advantage of being truly bio-degradable (the pipe dottle and ash I mean, and the cigar

butt). But the pipe dottle and ash is already reduced. It doesn't have to compost; it IS compost. Cigarette butts are

the rudest damn litter, maybe only slightly above pooch droppings.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
as another poster said, i typically gravitate toward cigars in summer and pipes every other time. i like my robustos; i like my cigars on the short and thick side. i used to do churchills but actually found many of them burned down more quickly than robustos or torpedoes, and they looked ridiculous to boot.
a cigar is a special occasion to me. it means i'm in florida on vacation or something like that. a pipe is a coworker. we go through the tough times together.

Status
Not open for further replies.