PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Before I got into pipe smoking I would occasionally enjoy a cigar. I was never full force into that hobby. I would just smoke them with friends as they came. But ever since I began my new love for pipe smoking, cigars aren't enjoyable. Maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars but to me there is no flavor comparison between pipe tobacco and cigars. With pipe tobacco I taste different flavors and the smoke is cool. With cigars I feel like I'm smoking cigarettes again (I quit that 15 years ago). And when I'm smoking cigars I am constantly spitting to get the hot nasty taste out of my mouth.
When I smoke a cigar I think of how I would rather be smoking a pipe. I feel like I'm cheating on my pipes...but not with a new beautiful mistress...more like with an ugly sister.
Anyone else feel the same or am I just too bias?

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I've never been "in" to smoking cigars but I just had one last night ant it tasted like all the others I've had which to me, is awful. It was a quality cigar but they are just not for me. So count me with the OP.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I love good cigars, pipe tobacco is a close second and at 50 cents or less a bowl compared to $4-8 a smoke, there really is no comparison.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I still enjoy a good cigar once in a while. Although if I had to label myself it would be as a full time pipe smoker who cheats on his pipes once in a while with a Cuban mistress. Great analogy by the way! I have three Cubans left in my humidor so another trip to Cuba is in order soon! I don't pay $8.00 a cigar so cost doesn't come into play. Summer time heat is a great time for a cigar and fall winter spring and early summer are pipe months. Just can't enjoy my pipe when its 90degress outside and humid.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I must agree with the other posters, there are some fantastic Cigars out there and I do, under certain circumstances, enjoy sitting back with a quality cigar and a quality Scotch or Rum or Tequila or coffee. I've had some wonderful 'aint life grand' moments with cigars. However at the end of the day and at the start of my pipe smoking journey I can already see that pipe smoking is better suited to my tastes and budget.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I smoked the finest Havana cigars for twenty-five years (Cohiba, Montecristo, R&J etc) before discovering the pipe and thee huge and satisfying range of pipe tobaccos. I wish I'd started on the pipe sooner - I still have 24 out of a box of 25 R&J's sitting there, unsmoked after a year !! LOL

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I feel the same. I have good quality cubans and dominicans, and some cheaper ones too that now just sit in my humidor. I find cigars too harsh now compared to pipe smoking

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Before I got into pipe smoking I was a cigar smoker. I still enjoy a cigar from time to time; however, I have noticed that my taste buds must have changed because cigars I liked prior to pipes I am now finding aren't all that enjoyable. Kind of strange really. At times I prefer the convenience of clipping and torching a cigar over the packing and tamping of a pipe, but almost without fail I find the flavor notes and room smoke of a cigar to be less enjoyable to my pipe. I will likely still grab "special occasion" cigars from my local B&M, but by and large all of my tobacco funds these days are invested in cellaring pipe tobacco.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I will buy a couple cigars from a B&M when I wanna celebrate something. When I worked, I would buy a large ring cigar a week a week.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I will smoke a cigar if some one gives me one. But I consider myself to be a full time pipe guy. To me, cigars just don't work. tamer291 just smoke your pipes and enjoy.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
ComingWell, ive actually discovered a new love for cigars after becoming a pipe smoker. Ive been a cigareete smoker for years and always inhaled cigars till I just couldnt take it anymore....and after that your pallet is ruined. After learning how to enjoy a pipe properly, I now can enjoy cigars the right way. I have to ssay I enjoy pipes a lot more though......

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
While I absolutely love pipe tobacco, a good quality cigar is always a nice change of pace to me esspcially Ashton VSG cigars.

~Ron

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I still love a good padron. Sometimes I still take a church hill and cut to stuff in my pipe...I really wish those guys would at least develop a plug for us pipers.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Cigars will always be my first love. I still enjoy them regularly but given that they are so much more expensive, I am very picky with what cigars I smoke these days. If it's not something special, I'd much rather enjoy a pipe.
I spent a lot of years worth of time and money chasing down the best cigars, scoring the latest Fuente or Cuban that I just had to have. Honestly, it got exhausting and my priorities changed since then. I got the point that I literally tried everything out there and nothing excited me anymore. I don't have that issue with pipes and tobaccos at all.
I keep a few humidors going with various stuff for the when the mood strikes. And if I walk in to a B&M with OpusX on the shelf you can damn well bet I'm walking out with a few. Cuban stuff became not worth the effort anymore and most of what I had over the last few years has been poor quality anyways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am an appreciator of a good cigar. Today that means I will gladly accept one from my host, or for a birth, wedding,

or with brandy after a feast (something like that). But for my own smoking pleasure, I have about a century of pipe

tobacco experiences in the cupboard and on my "list." I no longer buy cigars. If I discover that I am to live to the age

of 200 years (what a surprise!) I might do cigars too. So much more variety, choice, and ability to mix tobaccos at will,

and the pleasure of the craftsmanship and sculpture aspect of pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.