PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
John, here is mine. It is a Hans Christian Anderson by Stanwell of Denmark.

click to enlarge

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I got one of the McQueen Chuchwarden, it smokes incredibly well and the bowl never even came close to getting hot, even on the first bowl. It's definitely a sit down and relax kinda pipe, I took mine camping and it was great around the fire at night. I don't have pictures but I got the Halfling pipe. Wouldn't recommend getting a McQueen but I would recommend a Chuchwarden.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@bigvan, you are spot-on about the issue of balance. Balance is even more important to churchwardens than regular bents, because when it is no there, you feel it so much more. Especially if you are a clencher, good balance is such a must.
Now, I've always loved churchwarden pipes, even before LOTR, and before even taking up the smoking hobby. Maybe it was my time in Germany, as akid, getting influenced by all the St. Nicholas images with him smoking a long pipe - they are everywhere, or used to be.
Then again, maybe it WAS the Hobbit! Well, at least the old animated movie from the 1970's...

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I also have the two stemmed HCA, I must confess I use it mostly with the shorter stem:
5014033366_d0f1bf0e97_z.jpg

5013428053_b7f5d292c0_z.jpg

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Question. Does Stanwell still make the HCA pipe line. Seems like everyone online has a place for them but they have been sold out forever. I like the rusticated Danish with the smooth top.

plank46

Lurker
May 31, 2013
Hi all
My first decent pipe is a Savinelli 601 rustic church warden, I love sitting back and smoking a bowl of English with it. I all so have a Butz choquin green mini church warden, it looks cool but smokes a bit hot because of the small bowl size. I all so have a cheap pear wood one off eBay that isn't to bad for the price. I have just bought a Nording series 4 but I will be getting a Nording church warden next. Milan tobacco have a decent selection of church wardens and good prices to. If you are willing to spend a bit of money on a pipe, Yeti pipes has put out some really cool commission church wardens.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I really like the look of the Boswell Mini Ball pipes. I'm not a fan of the laser art etching, but I really like the looks, shape and homage to history on the pipe shape itself.
That Boswell warden sold today was a looker.
Keep hunting juptierspipe, you'll find your warden.
-- Pat

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got one of the Bjarne Viking Classic churchwardens as well. I had to open up the draw just a bit, but it's fun to smoke. I'm finding that I like larger bowls, and this one's on the small side - but nice for a short smoke. It may become my English/Latakia blend briar, unless I give in to PAD again soon...
Here's a head shot of me with the cw - submitted this pic for my "passport" for the Steampunk Cruise last March:
4d515698-2067-47fb-ac0d-990aec75efb5_zpsa879ad88.jpg

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
If HCA is available, I have confidence that www.pipesandcigars.com will find it for you. They have helped me and they will do the research for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have one. It was actually the first pipe I bought. They are a bit much. You can't really load a warden and still surf the net while smoking it. That's why I rarely smoke mine these days.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I thought about getting one about a year ago, but for some reason the churchwarden PAD passed.
Here's a head shot of me with the cw - submitted this pic for my "passport" for the Steampunk Cruise last March:
That is a cool hat phred!

Aug 14, 2012
Here are 5 Dunhill Churchwardens. They are all unusually good smokers. The extra length really mellows the smoke. From the top, 2 #5, 1 #4, 1 #2 and 1 #1. The 2 really should be a 3.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I like the look of the churchwarden, but they just aren't practical for me. I normally smoke while clenching a pipe either typing at my computer or out at the pub playing darts. I've been thinking about a banded cob with a forever stem and also buying a warden stem since I'd have a choice.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Victory Cigars in Oshawa Ontario Canada has a HCA pipe in their shop, I saw it tonight. Can't remember what the price was but if you're having trouble finding one they have it. This is my local B&M and they're a fantastic business. The ship in Canada but I'm sure they'd ship elsewhere. You'll have to call because I'm pretty sure the pipe isn't listed on their shopping site. Check them out at www.victorycigars.ca

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I mostly use the long stem on my HCA when I (re-)watch LOTR or the Hobbit. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.