Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have 5 of them and smoke them infrequently. When I smoke them it is at home but only because they do not travel well. As far as how you look, I would not worry tto much.

My experience is you will get more bad looks just because you are smoking in public. You are no longer in the politically correct crowd. I get your point though.

Dec 28, 2015
Having a bowl of frog Morton cellar in my churchwarden while watching Black Sails. Very liberating. I only wish I had a tin of black frigate and this would be a perfect moment.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I hear you johnbarleycorn. I have an Alden with a churchwarden stem, I smoke the pipe all the time but may have only used the long stem once. I think he made it because he thought the pipe was too small, but I like small pipes. I also am a clencher so the longer stem seems less natural.

alden-0514-600x448.jpg

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
carver, you just had to post the picture of the Auenland Gilg! :evil: I sometimes dream of this pipe at night, in the hazy minutes just before I fall asleep... :crazy: I must man up and save some money for it.

Great pipes and beautiful stand, my compliments. :)
Churchwardens definitely lend themselves to a relaxed smoke, not puffing on the go. A slow walk in the park at best. I have a Savinelli and expect a Cobbit Dwarf to arrive soon, and I fully intend to smoke them in the park, because there is pretty much no alternative for me.

And I don't give a damn about what others might think. There are many weirdos in Moscow, I really don't make any difference.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@andvary

There are many weirdos in Moscow, I really don't make any difference.

Way to go !!
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the Auenlands are nice pipes indeed. I'm sure you'll like them.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I'm almost 50, and I'm already too old to care what I look like to others, so long as I'm happy with it.
I've got one of those "cobbit" stems, like the one in Chasingembers' photo, and I use it mostly with my General MM because you may as well settle down for a long smoke when you have something so unwieldy in your hand. When I see myself clenching it in the mirror (can't walk too far that way), I nearly drop it, but that's because I burst out laughing! With a face like mine, you have to be able to laugh at yourself anyway.
The theory with a churchwarden is that the length cools the smoke down, and I've seen somebody comment somewhere that it should be at least 9 inches long. My MM stem, made by the Log Cabin people, who struck out on their own and unfortunately struck out altogether (last I heard) is only 8", and I have to puff so hard just to get the smoke to my mouth that the cooling effect is marginal at best. Therefore, I don't think they are of any value to the smoking experience, but they are good as a comic prop.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I don't own,a church warden yet, but I intend to get one in the future. Nothing could make me look sillier than seeing pictures of myself and others in the 1960s, 70s, or 80s!

Status
Not open for further replies.