PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
The problem is I feel that I would look utterly rediculous smoking the thing. I just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone else have this aversion? I know some of you seem to like them. Maybe it's just me.

You're certainly not alone, but I almost definitely don't think you'd look ridiculous at all.
I love my CW. I don't smoke them as often as I wish I would but I love them nonetheless.

I even carved a special stand for them.
U7t3hbm.jpg

tIXYmU0.jpg

oqP6698.jpg

zC01Y8n.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I apologize now for anything I've said that is offensive.
I'm offended because you had to apologize for anything you might have said that was offensive. How very offensive of you.
From Wiki
In German the style is referred to as "Lesepfeife" or "reading pipe," presumably because the longer stem allowed an unimpeded view of one's book, and smoke does not form near the reader's eyes, allowing one to look down.
So you see? You don't have to call it a churchwarden if you don't want to.

Jan 8, 2013
All this talk of churchwardens as I'm being blown away by how well this 320 smokes, as I smoke it for just the second time, makes me wish Savinelli would do a 320 churchwarden.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The problem is I feel that I would look utterly rediculous smoking the thing. I just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone else have this aversion?
I just don't feel like a hobbit!
The fact you already have one though means you could give it a try. I certainly wouldn't buy one, but if I had one I'd give it a go.
Trying new pipes is like trying new to you blends, you just never know it may be your next love affair!

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I think a beard would help it look more normal. Gray hair would also be a plus.
With Halloween just around the corner, what better time to prepare for the one night

you can smoke your churchwarden without feeling unseemly doing it. :wink:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Unfortunately the story about churchwarden pipes smoking cooler due to the long stem is just that, a story, one of the many myths surrounding pipesmoking.
The speed that the smoke travels along the stem to the mouthpiece is so great that it doesn't actually affect the temperature any more in a churchwarden than say a bulldog.
Now if the stem were to be say two feet long then that would make a difference but not so a regular churchwarden pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thibault you did some beautiful carving work there...are the pipes your work too?

Thanks for the nice comments.

No, I did do the stand, but not the pipes.
The pipes are Vauens. Auenland The Shire Series.

The top 3 on Duane's picture are too.
Unfortunately the story about churchwarden pipes smoking cooler due to the long stem is just that, a story, one of the many myths surrounding pipesmoking.

It's true and untrue. The first few puffs on a CW are feeling definitely cooler than with a regular pipe, and, to my experience, if you keep smoking slowly, it does stay cool.

Obvisouly, if one does puff hard, it will get hot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...it's true, you don't walk around clenching a churchwarden. The longer ones would catch on furniture and door frames unless you concentrated on it. Churchwardens are sitting-down pipes, nice for reading or conversation. My wife gave me my first 'warden, so no problem there. I guess there is a slight owlish, studious look to them, and if you fancy yourself a man of action, it might feel a little cramped. The churchwarden name sounds somewhat stuck indoors. Mostly, they are good smokers, and relaxing, since you can rest your elbow on the arm of a chair and puff gently and meditate. Try it, you'll like it. If you want to dip your toe in the pool, Iwan Ries has some small, Group 2, EWA churchwardens for $37, and if you don't like it, you can give it away.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I think most people look ridiculous with pipes stuck in their mugs.
Agreed. We're all ridiculous and that's ok. The tobacco is tasty and the pipes are fun.
Posted this elsewhere, but:
IMG_20160917_183023_zps6njnceme.jpg

Sad to say, that's about as normal looking as I get.
I'll get a CW one of these days, enjoy the good smoke and the added hilarity of my countenance.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Sad to say, that's about as normal looking as I get.
Say, that picture would make a GREAT avatar!
Just sayin'.
I'm just amazed that some people here would judge a pipe by how they look smoking it rather than the actual smoking experience.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
People usually give me more grief over my mustache, and completely over look the pipe.
img_20160221_173205-1.jpg

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Before my sad, patchy beard, I kept a pointy mustache. Attracts a lot of comments, doesn't it? Oi!
Matches the pipe, though. Old timey all the time, I say!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Love the beard. I had one for a long time. Goes well very every pipes. My wife hates it. I cut it. *kupssshhh* (whip sound).

Movember is around the corner, she'll leave me alone for one month.

Status
Not open for further replies.