PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Lazar, my uneducated guess is three of the four are licensed. The other is a google search. That's not what's at play. This thread is about a website that's not licensed.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Is Google Images licensed to redistribute those images, which anyone can print?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't know, but they are not a specific website offering the art. Is that hard to grasp?
I have no dog in the fight, but you are correct anyone can print anything. I do not see your "slippery slope".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The link above made me look. Of all the collectible tins of BS, the following are not among them.

images

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't see a slippery slope, either.
Is Google Images licensed to redistribute those images, which anyone can print?
They are all too poor resolution to produce a satisfactory print at actual size.
But you are funnin', aren't you?

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I was being sarcastic ashdigger, because I think this whole thread is absurd. The thing is, it is so obviously a "fan" website, with bad spellings, clumsy disclaimers etc. The guy has even made up amateurish tin "art" for bulk blends that have no art. I think it's invidious to threaten him with legal action for such a low-level "crime" - which is really just hobbyist enthusiasm and geekery. The kind of thing that is keeping pipe smoking alive.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
lazar: It's a legal thing. It's not a feelings thing. It's not an opinion thing. It's about ownership. But, your observation
The kind of thing that is keeping pipe smoking alive.
appears untenable. Hyperbole? How in the world is this true? SToP are peopled with the sort that are helping to keep smoking alive.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
cellarlabels.com
Do any of you use these?

As someone who really enjoys tin art I look forward to seeing these on jars in my stash. They will certainly be quite an improvement over my sharpie chicken scratch on blue masking tape.
So I guess the answer to the OP's question is "Not anymore"? smh

ukulelecowboy

Lurker
Feb 5, 2019
And all because they were trying to do something nice for their fellow pipers. No good deed goes unpunished, I suppose.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Look up McDonald's history, they protect their brand and they would crush you. They. Don't. Care. What. Your. Intentions. Are. Full stop.

ukulelecowboy

Lurker
Feb 5, 2019
Maybe, but if it's true that"anyone who knows the Standard Tobacco team know us to be the most reasonable guys around." As what's his face said they would take aoral high ground position and not be like McDonald's. What it really would down to, is they're at the mercy of governments and are currently getting screwed, so what do they do? Find someone smaller to screw over.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Look up McDonald's history, they protect their brand and they would crush you. They. Don't. Care. What. Your. Intentions. Are. Full stop.
This is so true. I used to do electrical work for one of their distribution centers and all they ever talked about was protecting their brand.
I guess I was just lamenting that this thread got started and resulted in corporate attention to someone who was not really doing any harm. I mean, so some dude prints out a circle that looks like a tin and slaps in on a mason jar lid.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
The Web site still has SToP images...maybe pay the lawyers some more money, second cease and desist letter. To what end.
Dumb.
IBTL

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
The Web site still has SToP images...maybe pay the lawyers some more money, second cease and desist letter. To what end.
Dumb.
IBTL
Yup. We can't have people buying tins of product and then putting an image of the tin they purchased on the lid of a jar in their drawer. That would be too much. Whoever this is needs to go down. Make an example of them so everyone learns to stick to painter's tape and sharpies.

Status
Not open for further replies.