PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am envious. IMO, this is not hoarding, but investing in a commodity; and at that, one with no load, no commissions, and free of capital gains tax. Better than gold! :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cortez, pipe tobacco is one of the best investments going today. When I came back to my pipes in 2012 after a few year layoff, I had a bunch of Murrey Dunhill tins along with some Penzance all from 2002. I ended up getting 33% on my money each year for a ten year timetable and the best I got with my regular investments was 14%. I would say that any portfolio manager would kill for that kind of return.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a few tobacco shops in North America that have a larger stock of blends, but very few. This is like the fever dream of the pipe smoker. Where am I? The best part is, what you aren't smoking is aging nicely. And, the beauty part is, this takes the edge off for those of us who feel just a little guilty about all those pipes and tins of tobacco lingering in our custody. I'll print off a picture of your cellar and feel guilt no more! What a delicious cave for the delectation of fine leaf.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Ne plus ultra tobacco cellar stock. Also the tobaccocellar real time accounting, and allowing us access to it is helpful, especially for me as a newly serious pipe/tobacco user. You do things the right way, that is for sure.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The Eh?! Canadian entertainment network just released the image shown below of Peck's recently completed new cellar. Let's hope it has sturdier shelves!
th

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
Looking at the average age of the blends, what's most impressive to e is that this seems to have been done over the course of just two or three years. I'd wager that collection is a year or two's salary for most of the fellas in here. It's museum worthy to be sure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Astounding! Peck's got more in his sample drawer, uninventoried, than I have in my whole house! OTOH, we can smoke only two or three pipes at once.....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's a far amount of tobacco, but I have more; and in any case your shelving unit does not compare my stacks of pints, all in their original, elegant, Ball Jar cardboard containers, piled with precision in three stacks 20 high. They seem to reach to the heavens, in my mind far above shelves of any origin.
I have also noticed your expanded/ever-expanding pipe collection, and like most addictions the longer it endures, the worse it gets, sounding the siren cry of "More! More! More." I too am equally afflicted; why, just recently I bought 10 MM Mark Twains, all at once!
In the end we are of like mind, spending spending spending on that resolutely enduring male passion, tobacco.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mike,
Pics or it didn't happen.
I know you are Mike of the 4Noggins, but I still want to see all that glorious Tobacco!
:)

May 4, 2015
You have MORE than 670 lbs of tobacco? Are you counting the Noggins warehouse, because I think that's cheating ;)

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
holy crap, man! i hope you have this scheduled on your homeowner's policy. just doing some rough math, i'm coming up with near $15k. hokey toots, that's a bunch of baccy! so, if you ever need to employ and "exit strategy", there is one shelf-full, in particular, which i would very much like to own!

May 4, 2015
$15K? 16oz to a pound X 670 pounds X (conservatively) $4 an ounce gives me appx. $43k. And he's in Canada, and you know what that means for pricing.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The dollar amount per ounce average is considerably lower then $4. I have a lot of blends that were $20 to $25/lb and some less than that. Gotta watch the sales.

Dec 24, 2012
$4 or $5 is probably about right for me. Save for a couple of blends, I don't cellar much bulk, and strongly prefer 1.75 or 2 ounce tins.

May 4, 2015
For sure, but that's (mostly) tinned stuff, not bulk. $8 bucks a tin is a good deal for most of that stuff. And then - Canada. How could it be less than $4 average?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
You definitely are right about Canadian prices/ounce. If you're going to cellar a lot of tins it changes the math entirely. I think you should be concerned about rust inside the tins. I've seen rust in many tins just three or four years old. I realize the paper liner keeps the tobacco clean, but still, something to think about when the tin gets older.

Dec 24, 2012
The Canada connection does add a bit for the shipping. Probably around $1 an ounce on average. Duty hasnt been an issue.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think you should be concerned about rust inside the tins.
Peck's tins won't rust, his cellar is under negative pressure to keep his tins in an oxygen free environment at all times. #fortressofsolitude

Status
Not open for further replies.