Cellaring - What Do You Guys Do With All The Empty Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
A guy I know screwed the lids to the bottom of a shelf in his garage and he puts screws, bolts, etc in the tin and then he screws the tin on the lid. It kept small stuff in there.

I just peel back the labels and keep small pipe related stuff in them inside a cigar box. Stuff like (softy bits, humidifying caps, Czech tools, etc.)

Lastly, I was thinking of using an wine cork and cutting it to fit, gluing it in the center of the tin and making some travel pipe ash trays... maybe with a 3p’s tin.

Reactions: BROBS

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I embarrassingly have every tin I’ve ever smoked :eek: It isn’t so bad considering I bought my first tin in January of 2014, but it’s still enough that it has warranted its own little “area” of storage. Most tins are Capstan and McClelland. I hope one day to get rid of some....

Why embarrassing? I am not into gardening, but I have two sheds courtesy of the previous owner of my house. I store all my trash here (read tobacco tins and some of my empty single malt and bourbon bottles). They remind me of the happy times.

I embarrassingly have every tin I’ve ever smoked :eek: It isn’t so bad considering I bought my first tin in January of 2014, but it’s still enough that it has warranted its own little “area” of storage. Most tins are Capstan and McClelland. I hope one day to get rid of some....

Reactions: briarbuda48

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm storing them for the time when I'll clean my shop full of different stuff and junk. Or maybe I'll just shoot at them one day, if I don't like smoking any more. :D

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I keep them until I get in the mood for some airgun plinking. Then they get shot and disposed. This happens about once a year.

Also I always keep one or two of the 50g ones around to carry some tobacco with me when I leave the compound.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Paper liners go in the trash. Metal tins go in the recycling bin. I've been working on reducing clutter around here - don't need more.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
The title pretty much says it all but here's a picture just so this isn't a boring wall-of-text thread.

pDgPtikl.jpg

I don't care too much for the tins with the gaudy SMOKING KILLS labels but these clean tins were always a struggle for me to throw away. Unfortunately I have gathered such a burdening collection now, I really need to do something with them or throw them out.

Any suggestions/recommendations out there?
Where did you get those labels in the right hand side?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I superglued the lid to a tin. Then I used a Dremel to cut an 1" slot on the side. This is how I safely dispose of my razor blades.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For the first several years I started smoking I saved them all up (about 3 trash bags worth) but a few years after i started smoking a pipe I had a big move and out of frustration I throw them all away. I regretted that later as a lot of those tins I threw away are not available anymore or the tins have completely changed so as of 2016 I started saving them again.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The wife makes and gifts cosmetic jewelry.

She removes the labels on the tins she needs and fancies them up. Stuffs new tissue inside, places the jewelry down and off she goes.

The remaining tins get tossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.