Carolina Reaper Dethroned: Pepper X is the New King of Peppers.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The breeder of the Carolina Reaper and other tongue melters has come up with a new variety of pepper with a whopping 2.7 million Scoville Heat Units.

The appropriately named Mr Currie said after eating one of his new babies "I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came. Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

But Mr. Currie, what does it taste like? :LOL:

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The breeder of the Carolina Reaper and other tongue melters has come up with a new variety of pepper with a whopping 2.7 million Scoville Heat Units.

The appropriately named Mr Currie said after eating one of his new babies "I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came. Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

But Mr. Currie, what does it taste like? :LOL:

Jay.
It's not going to taste like anything because your body going into shock will shut off sensory input in self defense. I suppose there's a practical point to this, like pepper spray. Was Mr. Currie auditioning for an episode of Jackass?

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
"I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came. Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

...Mr Currie was disappointed that it only lasted 3 hrs and that he didn't need an ICU visit, "Yeah, I know we broke the record, but I will not stop until I create the ultimate pepper that puts my ass in a coma!"

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Would anyone even be able to tell that this pepper is hotter in a side by side? Isn’t hot just hot after a certain point? I have two bottles of hot sauce, one rated 180,000 scovilles, one rated 250,000. They both make me a hot drippy mess. I can’t tell the difference in the two.

Reactions: Elric

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The Pepper Wars are so stupid and pointless...

Hell, if you simply want hot, getcha some pure capsaicin crystals. Looks like coarse table salt. Scoville something like 12 million. A teaspoon costs about a hundred bucks. Comes in a tiny test tube w/stopper.

Absolutely ANYTHING can be made lethally hot. Oatmeal, baby food, a candy bar, a glass of Coke.

(What are the crystals actually for? As in, why are they sold? It's how massive kitchens, like military chow halls, put zip into 500 gallon batches of chili and similar.)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
"I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came. Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

...Mr Currie was disappointed that it only lasted 3 hrs and that he didn't need an ICU visit, "Yeah, I know we broke the record, but I will not stop until I create the ultimate pepper that puts my ass in a coma!"
Scovillescide

Reactions: Elric

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Black pepper is as spicy as I can take. Any more than that I feel like my throat will close up. Not to mention the next morning makes all this spicy stuff not worth it.

We have an Indian grocery store near us that sales pure capsaicin crystals. I picked up some just thinking that I could play some childish jokes with that stuff. One small sample, and I decided not to. However, we were having issues with squirrels in our attic, so I spread some of this around up there in areas where it was evident that they were squeezing through. It only took one day before I never had anymore squirrel problems.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Would anyone even be able to tell that this pepper is hotter in a side by side? Isn’t hot just hot after a certain point? I have two bottles of hot sauce, one rated 180,000 scovilles, one rated 250,000. They both make me a hot drippy mess. I can’t tell the difference in the two.
Here's my two go to pepper sauces...

PepperSauce.jpeg

On the left: Bhut Jolokia - 'Ghost Pepper' - ca. 1m Scoville

On the right: Trinidad Scorpian - ca. 1.2m Scoville (now 3rd hottest chili)

I often use the Bhut Jolokia on omelets, grilled meats etc. (8-12) drops is enough!); pleasantly hot (if you don't over do it).

I don't recommend doing that with the Trinidad Scorpian (see tasting notes below); if you've got a bolognese sauce but want to liven it up then 4 or 5 drops of Trinidad Scorpian will do the trick. Putting it on grilled meats or omelets a la the Bhut Jolokia and there will be tears and a need to eat a lot of yoghurt quickly - that sauce is a heck of a lot hotter than the other one!

Tasting notes for the Trinidad Scorpian...

Paul Bosland, a chili pepper expert and director of the Chile Pepper Institute, said, "You take a bite. It doesn't seem so bad, and then it builds and it builds and it builds. So it is quite nasty."
wikipedia

I also have some Tabasco in the kitchen; that just used for Bloody Marys and cheese on toast

Reactions: autumnfog