Carolina Reaper Dethroned: Pepper X is the New King of Peppers.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I love spicy food and peppers, but... why? Reapers are already too hot for anyone with a brain to eat, why do we need a hotter pepper?

It's like developing an alcohol so potent that 1 shot gives you alcohol poisoning, ok great... But, who's the target demographic here?
My Mexican mate Jose...

Reactions: AroEnglish
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'll stick with my ghost peppers or any variety within that realm of heat. But ghosts tend to have the flavor I chase in a good pepper or sauce - a wonderful smokey flavor. I can handle heat and even enjoy it, but I don't chase it. I've tried lots of "artisan" sauces that were just a mediocre sauce with that extract in it for heat and I cannot stand the stuff. I've got a few brands I'm loyal too but I prefer to make my own. Each year I grow a variety of peppers and make my sauce, then can it for the next year. It's actually what got my wife to start liking spicier foods.

Aug 1, 2012
Would anyone even be able to tell that this pepper is hotter in a side by side?
From a similar experience, yes. It's like the difference between second and third degree burns. You think you've reached the pinnacle of pain and then you try to climb a taller mountain. Plus, I've never seen Chili Klaus hurting that badly.

On the ghost pepper front, I have to say I can't stand them. For me they have a metallic taste that is highly unpleasant.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I've had the last dab which is made with pepper x. It was ridiculously hot they aren't messing around. I think at a certain level of heat it's just all pain no flavor. For me that's ghost peppers. I draw the line at habeneros.

Sadly I had to give up on tasting very hot 🥵 peppers 🌶️

The two Carolina Reaper pastes in the picture messed me up badly. While I had no problem eating them and could eat a lot, it used to keep me awake at night.

To my credit I finished both the bottles of Carolina Reaper paste before giving up on spiced dishes. The Ghost Pepper powder in the picture is still completely full after four years (Less half teaspoon full)

The heat I can now tolerate is Birds Eye Chilli Pepper. 🌶️ Depending on potency I sometimes have a few as condiments with meals.

IMG_4806.jpeg

Aug 1, 2012
Sadly I had to give up on tasting very hot 🥵 peppers 🌶️

The two Carolina Reaper pastes in the picture messed me up badly. While I had no problem eating them and could eat a lot, it used to keep me awake at night.

To my credit I finished both the bottles of Carolina Reaper paste before giving up on spiced dishes. The Ghost Pepper powder in the picture is still completely full after four years (Less half teaspoon full)

The heat I can now tolerate is Birds Eye Chilli Pepper. 🌶️ Depending on potency I sometimes have a few as condiments with meals.

View attachment 254240
Now bird's eye chills are dang tasty.

Reactions: cshubhra

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
We have an Indian grocery store near us that sales pure capsaicin crystals. I picked up some just thinking that I could play some childish jokes with that stuff. One small sample, and I decided not to. However, we were having issues with squirrels in our attic, so I spread some of this around up there in areas where it was evident that they were squeezing through. It only took one day before I never had anymore squirrel problems.
Years back we had an issue with our dog Jesse eating from the cat litter box. I sprinkled some habanero powder in the box.
Poor Jesse dry coughed for about 10 days. Bless her heart, she lived 7 more years and never even looked at the cat litter box again.

1697607500589.png

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
But, who's the target demographic here?
Bragging rights I suppose. Having a bottle of Pepper X Sauce in your larder would be something that certain folk would feel they have to have.

"In an effort to protect his intellectual property and see profits this time, Pepper X pods and seeds will not be released. The only way to taste Pepper X will be through sold hot sauces".

But then that is assuming it passes the FDA tests as fit for human consumption :oops:

I wonder if it might be used as a substitute for Nitromors?

Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Is Pepper X the pepper formerly known as Twitter?

I used to really like hot peppers. My dad grew them, and picking them fresh really gave the best flavor:heat ratio. Just being hot, without flavor, wasn't enjoyable for me. In college, when food money was very tight, and the heat in my attic apartment was scarce, I'd go across the street to this little Mexican health food store, where a gold-toothed senorita would make me a hot pepper burrito for $3. I ate a lot of those.

Then, at some point, I scorched my tongue on hot soup, or pizza or something, and when it healed, my tongue was super-sensitive to spicy hot. Anything with even relatively mild heat was painful. I still enjoy hot peppers on a cheese steak, or in Pho. I cook with more mild peppers all the time. But my days of enjoying hot peppers by themselves are over. In fact, as I type this, I feel a head heat coming on, just thinking about it!