Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

7charb

Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

How would recommend general maintenance/care for a briar stem? Just restored this Wally Frank and to my surprise, under all the stem "oxidation" was NOT oxidation, but a briar stem.

Thanks,
Steve

Reactions: Bengel

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
That's a beaut!! I wonder what you were cleaning off? Was it stained black or something? It doesn't seem to match the rest of the pipe now... but still a beauty.

7charb

Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's a beaut!! I wonder what you were cleaning off? Was it stained black or something? It doesn't seem to match the rest of the pipe now... but still a beauty.
It just looked old and dingy... thought for sure it was a cheap stem that had overly oxidized. I may re-stain it now that I know it's briar, but would opt for a two-tone look just the same (slightly darker). I like the contrast.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

sandollars

Jul 28, 2019
CA/UT
I like the contrast too. Beauty! Maybe stain the bowl ring and stem the same contrasting color? That would look crazy sweet!

Reactions: 7charb

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
It looks great! Don't change a thing. That would be demented. Why take character away?

I would be careful about spirits while smoking, just in case there is some stain on the stem. Just a precaution.

Reactions: 7charb

logs

Apr 28, 2019
Wow! Never seen a briar stem before. What's it feel like in your mouth?

7charb

Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Wow! Never seen a briar stem before. What's it feel like in your mouth?
Before I knew it was briar (last night), tried it and was very impressed. Great pull, great experience, but has a stinger too (see below). Was it the stinger? The briar stem? I am too new at this to tell. I just know it is now one of my favs. I do have a few decent pipes (in the vein of Comoy, Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, etc.). On another thread, one of the members said it was likely a 1960s pipe. Yet, the stinger looks a lot like my 1930s Kaywoodie. This one smokes sooooo much better than that one though.

Last edited:
Reactions: logs