PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

How would recommend general maintenance/care for a briar stem? Just restored this Wally Frank and to my surprise, under all the stem "oxidation" was NOT oxidation, but a briar stem.

Thanks,
Steve

Reactions: Bengel

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's a beaut!! I wonder what you were cleaning off? Was it stained black or something? It doesn't seem to match the rest of the pipe now... but still a beauty.

It just looked old and dingy... thought for sure it was a cheap stem that had overly oxidized. I may re-stain it now that I know it's briar, but would opt for a two-tone look just the same (slightly darker). I like the contrast.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
It looks great! Don't change a thing. That would be demented. Why take character away?

I would be careful about spirits while smoking, just in case there is some stain on the stem. Just a precaution.

Reactions: Humblepipe

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Wow! Never seen a briar stem before. What's it feel like in your mouth?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Wow! Never seen a briar stem before. What's it feel like in your mouth?

Before I knew it was briar (last night), tried it and was very impressed. Great pull, great experience, but has a stinger too (see below). Was it the stinger? The briar stem? I am too new at this to tell. I just know it is now one of my favs. I do have a few decent pipes (in the vein of Comoy, Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, etc.). On another thread, one of the members said it was likely a 1960s pipe. Yet, the stinger looks a lot like my 1930s Kaywoodie. This one smokes sooooo much better than that one though.

Last edited:
Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.