Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Capstan Yellow with its brighter citrusy profile is for me a quintessential summery Virginia flake.

Capstan Blue with its richer and bit darker profile is great fall/winter Virginia flake.

I like both and smoke both and try to keep both on hand. With the recent price increases putting Capstan at $20USD / 50gr I am treating them more as a treat versus everyday smoke.

I like Newminster 400 (also made by Mac Baren) as my everyday Capstan replacement flake. For me, Newminster 400 comes in between Blue and Yellow, not quite as dark as Blue, not quite as citrusy as yellow. I'd be interested in trying Newminster with a few years of age on it but so far it hasn't been hanging around long enough to get much age!

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
That must be a european thing. They’re one of the most expensive blends over here across the pond. $18-$20 a tin, which is expensive when compared to other tin prices. Not outrageous or anything it just happens to be much more expensive than lots of other readily available blends.

I really, really like Capatan and it's still probably overall my favorite VA flake buuuttt it's $41.59 for a pound of Newminster versus 2 tins of Capstan for $40 . My money as of late has been going for bulk Newminster.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I really, really like Capatan and it's still probably overall my favorite VA flake buuuttt it's $41.59 for a pound of Newminster versus 2 tins of Capstan for $40 . My money as of late has been going for bulk Newminster.
Sutliff 507 for me is preferable to Newminster 400 but yes I agree with the spirit of what you’re saying. Both Sutliff 507 and Newminster 400 need minimum 2 years of age IMO. Capstan is pretty much fantastic from the tin (at least the last time I had it which was a few years ago).

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Capstan Yellow with its brighter citrusy profile is for me a quintessential summery Virginia flake.

Capstan Blue with its richer and bit darker profile is great fall/winter Virginia flake.

I like both and smoke both and try to keep both on hand. With the recent price increases putting Capstan at $20USD / 50gr I am treating them more as a treat versus everyday smoke.

I like Newminster 400 (also made by Mac Baren) as my everyday Capstan replacement flake. For me, Newminster 400 comes in between Blue and Yellow, not quite as dark as Blue, not quite as citrusy as yellow. I'd be interested in trying Newminster with a few years of age on it but so far it hasn't been hanging around long enough to get much age!
That must be a european thing. They’re one of the most expensive blends over here across the pond. $18-$20 a tin, which is expensive when compared to other tin prices. Not outrageous or anything it just happens to be much more expensive than lots of other readily available blends.
Estervals.

I usually put together a larger order once a year to make the shipping worth while. Hard to beat their prices and can pick up a few other offerings not available in the States.

I'm also a sucker for the bulk blends that punch above their weight class. I'm looking at you Virginia Slices and Newminster.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Well, relatively affordable here in Spain. Now they cost about 10 euros tin of 50 grams. I was lucky enough to buy a large quantity, when a few years ago, they were at 6 euros. Now for me, it is no longer profitable with the current prices. But I was able to keep a good amount. Tobacco has practically doubled in price here.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Well, relatively affordable here in Spain. Now they cost about 10 euros tin of 50 grams. I was lucky enough to buy a large quantity, when a few years ago, they were at 6 euros. Now for me, it is no longer profitable with the current prices. But I was able to keep a good amount. Tobacco has practically doubled in price here.
Good thing you stocked up when you did. The price increases lately have been heavy. Still affordable when you break down the cost per bowl but it will only continue to rise

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Agreed about both but I have had a few outstanding smokes of 507 fresh from the bag in the last week. I love it when a blend you are experienced with throws a few curveballs once in a while
That makes sense. Those straight Virginias are such delicate smokes that the whole flavor profile of the bowl shifts with the slightest variable change.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
Yellow is fantastic, just different. You get more of a citrus note, and it's a tad sweeter with a little less body.

'Cause I smoke yellow in the morning
And smoke blue in the afternoon
Kinda like my old blue tickhound
I like to lay around in the shade
And I ain't got no money
But Capstan has it made