Flavor Profile of Capstan Gold vs. Blue?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found the Gold to be not as sweet as the Blue but it had a very big citrus back bone. The Blue seemed to have flavor that were much more rounded and a thicker mouth feel. The Gold had more hey like components and it was a bit thin. The Gold is a nice flake but I did not cellar it because I enjoy the Blue much more and the Gold was similar to my other morning flakes like Dunhill Flake, Wessex gold and F&T Cut Virginia Plug but not as tasty as those three. Add into the fact it is not a cheap flake, made it was a no go for my cellar. I think it is worth getting one tin to see if it is something you might enjoy, all of our tastes are so different that you might find flavors that I don't.
If you are looking for something sweet like the Blue, the Brigham Klondike Gold is a great flake, it has been aged in the tins and you can really taste that fact. I think the Blue with some age will be as good as the Klondike Gold in a few years.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, glad I could help. The Special Brown is a nice change of pace flake for me, it should age nicely.
roth, the Klondike Gold is in stock at SP right now and they have gotten in shipments on a regular basis. PC has been out for months, so no one is getting any out of them and I bought all mine at SP. Peck and I are both done buying Klondike and neither of us bought any from PC. We both hit SP hard and had no trouble buying all we wanted. PC cannot keep anything is stock right now, even bristle pipe cleaners are a challenge for them. Since the take over they have lost over 4 grand of my business as they were my number one source but now I am all done with them. I have a back order from July that I am getting ready to cancel as SP has gotten that same blend in 6 times and PC none.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks for asking this question. I've read the tin notes on Blue and Gold, and really couldn't find a good answer. I'll put Blue on my list, and add Gold sometime down the road.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I finally gave up waiting for PC to get their supply issues worked out and decided I needed to complete my cellar without them. It cost me a lot of free tins having to pay a little more from other suppliers which is why I am very displeased with them. I did order the Klondike Gold in 25 tin lots to get the good price. I would not wait if I were you as I honestly do not believe PC is going to get it together anytime soon. By the time they get Klondike Gold back in stock, it may well be the tins are no longer aged. The fact that SP and 4noggins keep getting re supplied on the blends I buy says to me that PC is not paying attention to what their customers are ordering and that the product manager or whoever is in charge of ordering is completely clueless.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should add that since the take over by CI, they did jack their prices 10% on some of the blends I used to buy so I guess in reality I did not lose that many free tins after all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, a perfect example of their ineptness is the fact they have been out of stock with Solani Silver Flake and 633 for months. Both 4noggins and SP are never out of these blends. It says to me that someone is simply not doing their jobs because there are no supply issues with those two. Another blend that is not a supply issue is Old Dark Fired, Mac Baren has no problem keeping SP and noggins supplied with it yet PC never has it. I would be not surprised to hear that they have a cigar guy in charge of ordering and they don't have a clue as to what is popular on the pipe side.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm smoking Capstan Blue right now in my Nording Signature. I've been smoking this blend for 2 weeks now. It's OK but nothing special to me. I will say that it is helping with ther coloring of my Signature so that's a good thing.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Again, papipeguy and I share similar tastes. I found the Capstan Blue flake as OK. I am curious to try the Gold if only to see how it differs from other similar blends.
On another unrelated note: Congratulations, papipeguy (John) on 6000 posts.

papipeguy6k.jpg

Here's to another 6000!
-Jason

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
papipeguy and Lornoble, sorry to here you guys don't love the Blue flake, I have smoked 3 tins of it so far and really love it. Have either of you tried it in a Dublin with a bowl width of .75 and a group 4 sized bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.