PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Mikethompson you hit the nail on the head. I support my local store often and have developed a great relationship with them but I do place two monthly orders online, each consisting on 150 -200 grams of things we don’t have access to here. A 50 gram tin of tobacco here goes for $37 to $48

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
You guys have no willpower :P
I have a bunch of pipes still brand new in the box and I experience that "kid on Xmas morning" thing every time I drag them out and admire them. And when I absolutely feel like I need to have a new pipe, I pick one out of my stock and smoke it. Usually, it's a birthday, holiday or some other special event.

Seriously, a pipe is never new again after you smoke it. And I just like to drag out that new pipe feeling as long as I can. I know many of you will say a pipe is meant to be smoked and enjoyed, but keeping it brand new for a few years before I spark it up is enjoyable for me. By the time I finally do smoke it, it's now a very big deal!
That said, congrats on that Sav 673, aro222. I've been wanting a 673 and as soon as that Oceano line came out, I knew I had to have that pipe too. I think the way the black rustication offsets that wild blue stem is gorgeous. And, it's sitting right here brand new in the box :)

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Good looking pipe. We suffer together. I have a new Castello on the way and I'm already looking for another!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Once I had more pipes than I needed, the idea occurred to me that I ought not buy more. Then I also had to have three or four fine pipes, which within my realm of affordability meant between $200.00-$300.00, having agreed that that would provide a superior smoking experience, which these "superior" pipes never did. Thus disappointed, I've concluded that a superior pipe is defined by a comfortable stem and a few minor additions:
1. chamfered tenon

2. snug tenon fitment

3. not even a small gap between stem and shank/mortise

4. opened bit
Excellent drilling, including entering the chamber at the bottom-center is assumed.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
saltedplug, all your criterion listed, with the exception of excellent drilling, isn't too hard to achieve with a few modifications and just some basic hand tools and supplies. I've had good success turning some real dogs into excellent puffers.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
oh pipesticks

you have that baby sitting in a box in front of you and you havent packed it yet ???

good for you buddy

i dont think i could hold off on that one

i recently smoked a new sav that i got a couple months ago and waited to fire it up

just wasnt sure it was the right time to smoke it

but after i did i regreted waiting so long it is now tied for first on my favorite pipe list

just thinking of all the nights i could have been enjoying that pipe the last 2 months and did not makes me sad

i wont wait again

new pipes should be smoked and enjoyed and properly placed in order of preference

it will be curious to see where this new 673 lands on my list

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
aro222, I decided I wanted to save that Oceano for my birthday in May and I plan to break it in with some McClelland's 40th Anniversary and/or Blackwoods Flake while sipping some Bushmills. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. I'm really looking forward to it!
Just got a package delivered from 4noggins. My HH tins and the pound of Vintage Syrian just arrived. The VS is dated Feb 2018....don't get much fresher than that!

I think I'll have to smoke a few bowls fresh today then jar it up for a few years

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a 673 Opera my wife got me for a gift about two years ago; I really love it, the right size bowl, the heft but not heavy, just right. It's a great shape.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
a birthday sounds like the perfect time to fire her up

and may isnt that far off so hang in there

i should get mine next week so ill let you know how it is

enjoy brother

cheers

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
You may not need more than 3 pipes.

In my case the want exceeds the need.

Does a man really need more than 1 automobile, no, but that doesn't stop collectors from buying

My pipe collection is up to 6 right now and that is still considered quite small

Do i have a problem ? Maybe... but i'm not done collecting yet and yes i love them all

As far as tobacco. My cellar keeps growing at a comfortable pace

Keep 'em lit gents

cheers

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Nice pipe. Gotta love a Sav.

I rarely buy new pipes anymore, but sometimes one just "Speaks" to you.

Good luck managing the PAD.

In my case the want exceeds the need

I think that's a common affliction for many of us

Dec 28, 2015
Just picked up the exact same pipe in my local B&M this week. First bowl was 40th Anniversary. Just like my other three 673s it is a great smoker.
de4ac461-94e0-4669-b335-87f0e59f51cc-456x600.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,some year ago I was swearing I ain't gonna have more than 7-9 good pipes,today I got em 32, and this must stop now,

Ps. I also have that 673 'Friday' Savinelli and agreed, it is surprisingly good smoker even I better like the straight shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.