Canadian ordering from the USA, the TAX man got me.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
If I can share a personal experience with Canada Customs from two days ago. Please don't flame me. I am very thankful for the good relationship I have had with the great online tobacco shops from the US and my fellow smokers from south of the line. Here goes. This is exactly as per my two conversations with Canada Customs concerning my tobacco order.
I just got off the phone with Canada Customs. They phoned me regarding a tobacco order that I had sent back for appeal for three, eight ounce packages of Esoterica.
The tax for tobacco coming into Canada and I quote from the officer I spoke with is 332%
They don't want Canadians to buy out of country. I asked him if he would hold it for a day while I contacted the online vendor I had bought it from.
I called the online vendor and spoke with their very friendly staff. They said this happens all the time. I was told that they received a phone call from the Canadian Government a year ago and were told that any products sent to Canada must be marked for what the actual contents are.
This very helpful customer service individual said that most of the time, 90% of the product shipped, goes through because Canada customs doesn't have the time or resources to validate every shipment. They do spot checks.

I will also say that the Canadian Customs official who called me was one hundred per cent sympathetic and told me he personally thought it was a shitty deal for Canadians. Whether he was simply saying that or it was how he actually felt I have no other way to gauge other than he did sound like he honestly felt that way.
I got tagged this time around.
Tax was $350.00, over 3 times what I paid for the tobacco.

My simple comment to the vendor was, "If this will in any way cause you folks to stop shipping to Canada to please allow me to pay for return shipping charges, pay for the product and I will gift it to a fellow pipe smoker I know from the States." I did that not because I want people to go Oh Ah that was a nice gesture. I couldn't care less what people think. I did it because I appreciate and value being able to purchase product from the US and I don't want that to stop.

If I get tagged one time out of ten, so be it.

And that 332% is exactly what I was told. No BS there I think. And even with that tax, it still works out cheaper for me here in Alberta to pay the tax rather than buy from a Canadian B&M.

A price at a B&M here Red Deer and I Edmonton for a 50gram tin of FMOTT, 50 grams, not 2 ounces is $49.95. I know because I called a B&M I have dealt with in Edmonton to find out and also my local B&M.

I also know that if you spend 48 hours in the States a Canadian resident can bring back without penalty 200grams of tobacco.

My wife, two daughters, and daughter in Law are going to Vegas in October for 4 days.

I am going to give them each a shopping list.

Respectfully submitted.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Quoting Peckinpahombre here...
Guys, never call customs. 96% of the time they will give you the wrong answer.
This was a useful thread with some recent links to calculation of import taxes and duty.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/canadian-duty-taxes-of-mail-orders/page/2
-- Pat

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
"My wife, two daughters, and daughter in Law are going to Vegas in October for 4 days."
I hope the exchange rate improves for them. The loony is getting killed today.

Mar 1, 2014
Your Border Patrol doesn't seem to like it but we are allowed across.
We have a border patrol? That must just be on the north side.
They hassle only those folks we want to come into the country.
Why hassle dishonest people who probably have no money when you can just convince honest people to give you their money.
Making life hard for people who want to follow the rules pays way, way better than making life hard for the unscrupulous portion of the population.
shikano53:
Which was the correct amount. You should have paid it without batting an eye.

Sometimes I sympathise with Cigars International (who stopped selling to Canada).
If you don't like the situation on tobacco tax to your MP.

klf007

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I am based in Israel and I order cigars all the time from US. Not much, maximum 10 sticks per package. Until now they didn't open any package. I found a online retailer who is willing to play along with me, helps a lot when it comes in and the customs don't catch it. I wonder if a similar pipe tobacco retailer can be found?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small

Be thankful I don't take it all

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,

If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.

If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,

If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
Don't ask me what I want it for

If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die

Declare the pennies on your eyes

And you're working for no one but me.

Mar 1, 2014
"My wife, two daughters, and daughter in Law are going to Vegas in October for 4 days."
I hope the exchange rate improves for them. The loony is getting killed today.
I think the exchange rate is a fair ways down on the list of things to worry about.
davet:
The one time I claimed tobacco at the border they brought me inside to pay duty/taxes on two tins. After at least half an hour trying to figure it out they charged me $24, then proceeded to go all through my truck looking for more tobacco, or illegal aliens/terrorists.
If they get searched by customs just because you want to save a few bucks...

I agree it's a strategy worth exploring, but I would not ask my family to be the subject of the first experiment.
shikano53:
Which was the correct amount. You should have paid it without batting an eye.

Sometimes I sympathise with Cigars International (who stopped selling to Canada).
If you don't like the situation on tobacco tax, talk to your MP, get involved in open public debate, and sway the culture to accepting pipe tobacco.

If no-one agrees with you then maybe you're just in the wrong country.

pipebender

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Which shipping option did you chose?
The fastest offered by USPS as I wanted to spend my upcoming vacation trying new tobaccos.
Unfortunately, 87 CAD is about right for 50 USD of tobacco.
It was $27 but the 332% number posted by another user seems fit.
I hope, Pipebender, this first order doesn't put you on a watch list.
lol trust me I'm already their list.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Peck spelled out the Canadian tax system very well in the thread pruss linked to
The exact post is here
For Albert $350 sounds about right for that size of an order. Remember that sometimes you get hit and sometimes you don't. It averages out at a deal that is way better then you can find on this side of the border and with a much greater selection.
If you expect to pay the tax everytime you order you can be happy when you don't get hit as opposed to shocked when you do.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
If you don't like the situation on tobacco tax, talk to your MP, get involved in open public debate, and sway the culture to accepting pipe tobacco.

If no-one agrees with you then maybe you're just in the wrong country.
I think most of us are in the wrong country. We should start our own and call it Tobaccostan. Our leader will be called the Sultan of Swing. 8)

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
400% or so mark up over US prices is about average for the few B&Ms around me that carry pipe tobacco, and they have a much more limited selection. As long as the taxes are correctly applied it still comes out about even or cheaper to order.
I still visit shops now and then when I want something right away, to chat with the staff, or grab something on a whim.

Dec 24, 2012
Do we allow Canadians in the US for 48 hours?
Canadians soon won't be able to cross the border. You see, we are concerned about rapists (other than the fiscal type) entering the country and so we are building a giant wall. And we are going to get you guys to pay for building the wall.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
That's right; we don't want those slutty Canadian moose coming down on a bender and corrupting our fine upstanding Minnesota moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.