Canada Pipe Tobacco Question

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I think that may be a good option for me to look at. An old friend was talking about doing this.
Burleys are surprisingly easy, and Virginias can be, but flu curing took me a year to get down right. You just can't get lazy after you pick the leaves. I lost my whole crop of semois, because I didn't start the curing right away.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Burleys are surprisingly easy, and Virginias can be, but flu curing took me a year to get down right. You just can't get lazy after you pick the leaves. I lost my whole crop of semois, because I didn't start the curing right away.
Sounds like you're volunteering to be JSPiper's Fine Tobacco Blends lead consultant....

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Sounds like you're volunteering to be JSPiper's Fine Tobacco Blends lead consultant....
I do well with specific questions. Not so much broader questions that require a book's worth of writing. But, sure... feel free to ask me what you want. I read a few books, and I researched and called people who were currently working in the tobacco curing and manufacturing part of tobacco industry. So, maybe I can help with specific questions.

A tip though, if you try to contact people in that aspect of the tobacco industry, there is a whole separate jargon. They won't know what the hell you mean by Virginias. They are called brightleaf varietals. And, there are a few other differences. They won't know what a red Virginia is for sure, because the process is called color curing. Maybe that will help head off some problems.

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
Just make your car really messy with fast food bags and dirty laundry, and hide it under the seat cushions. Then, just don't act shifty when you go through border patrol or whatever.
I just want to make this clear, I don't want to "sneak", or "hide" the tobacco to get it into Canada, I'm looking for ways to bring a lot of tobacco in on the up and up. If I have to get a Native American friend to help (sorry if that's offensive), I can. I really just want to build a deep cellar, because I'm absolutely sure that in the next 5 -10 years, Canada is going to just ban all imported tobacco.

Reactions: AroEnglish

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
Yeah, my horror stories include 77 dollars in tax on 2 tins (50g each) of Sir John's, and that time I traded a guy a pipe for a pound of tobacco, and got taxed on the tobacco for a huge loss on the trade. Couple hundred bucks and that's like 15 years ago.

So the short answer is, don't bring 100 tins into Canada, you'll get crushed.
Yes, I had a situation like that, where they tried to change me $300 for two 1 oz bags of tobacco. The border person (who was in a TERRIBLE mood), put the package the tobacco was in on the scale, and used that number. LJ Perreti had packed the tobacco amazingly well, the box was very thick and heavy.

I argued for a while that they had to open the box and take the tobaccos out, and they could only weight the tobacco package. Mr McGrump master cut the box open, and poured the bags together, and weight it. Being annoyed, I just left the package, since it had been like 30 minutes at that point.

To be fair, that's the only time I've had a bad experience, I'm not against paying for duty and taxes, but they need to be reasonable

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
One of the owners of a B&M told me about whole leaf. These guys know, in Canada...forget about it. They stay in business because of out-of-towners here on business looking for a cigar, and now, they have a smoking lounge, and make money selling booze.

But the first time I went there and spent $160 on a new pipe, plus $50.00 for a tin of EMP, (and it was my first pipe), the owner said, "well...you obviously have the internet"...because I knew what Latakia was and a few other things. What he was implying was, "obviously you won't be back here buying pipe tobacco as soon as you figure out you can order it online."

In those days I was able to import lots of tobacco, 4 tins at a time. When that started to fail, I switched to bulk-only orders, 4oz at a time. Then I switched vendors. I can still order from certain vendors, but I'm pretty well stocked so I'm not TADing much anymore. Over the years I sent back a lot that had ridiculous fees applied to it, and I hardly ever got burned by any retailers.

Anyway, my advice is, forget about importing a bunch of tins. Try bulk and try placing orders with several different suppliers. Some of them get through and some of them don't. The ones that get through (and there are a few of them)...place more orders with them and cross your fingers. If ridiculous fees get applied, don't pay them. If appropriate fees get applied, it's up to you I guess. Sometimes I've refused to pay $40 for a 2oz tin, because I didn't care enough about that particular tobacco and I knew the retailer would refund the return and I'd only be out a few bucks on the shipping. If a supplier won't give you any refund on a return, fuck them.

I haven't ordered whole leaf, but I probably will in the future and I may even try my hand at growing it...You can order much larger quantities of whole leaf with much lower import costs (apparently).

To sum up, importing 1000 tins of tobacco seems misguided. Tinned tobacco is not better than bulk tobacco as a rule. There is excellent bulk tobacco available in every genre, and if the goal is to build a cellar, you'l want to eventually jar a lot or store it in Mylar anyway, and it will age over time. Your cellar improves over the years. Buy more than you smoke and aim to continue buying on a regular basis over several years. Look for vendors that ship bulk tobacco successfully across the border and stick with them until your luck runs out! :ROFLMAO:

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
One of the owners of a B&M told me about whole leaf. These guys know, in Canada...forget about it. They stay in business because of out-of-towners here on business looking for a cigar, and now, they have a smoking lounge, and make money selling booze.

But the first time I went there and spent $160 on a new pipe, plus $50.00 for a tin of EMP, (and it was my first pipe), the owner said, "well...you obviously have the internet"...because I knew what Latakia was and a few other things. What he was implying was, "obviously you won't be back here buying pipe tobacco as soon as you figure out you can order it online."

In those days I was able to import lots of tobacco, 4 tins at a time. When that started to fail, I switched to bulk-only orders, 4oz at a time. Then I switched vendors. I can still order from certain vendors, but I'm pretty well stocked so I'm not TADing much anymore. Over the years I sent back a lot that had ridiculous fees applied to it, and I hardly ever got burned by any retailers.

Anyway, my advice is, forget about importing a bunch of tins. Try bulk and try placing orders with several different suppliers. Some of them get through and some of them don't. The ones that get through (and there are a few of them)...place more orders with them and cross your fingers. If ridiculous fees get applied, don't pay them. If appropriate fees get applied, it's up to you I guess. Sometimes I've refused to pay $40 for a 2oz tin, because I didn't care enough about that particular tobacco and I knew the retailer would refund the return and I'd only be out a few bucks on the shipping. If a supplier won't give you any refund on a return, fuck them.

I haven't ordered whole leaf, but I probably will in the future and I may even try my hand at growing it...You can order much larger quantities of whole leaf with much lower import costs (apparently).

To sum up, importing 1000 tins of tobacco seems misguided. Tinned tobacco is not better than bulk tobacco as a rule. There is excellent bulk tobacco available in every genre, and if the goal is to build a cellar, you'l want to eventually jar a lot or store it in Mylar anyway, and it will age over time. Your cellar improves over the years. Buy more than you smoke and aim to continue buying on a regular basis over several years. Look for vendors that ship bulk tobacco successfully across the border and stick with them until your luck runs out! :ROFLMAO:

GOOD LUCK!
The idea behind the large number of tins is selection. I like ~60 tobaccos as a daily any time smoke, so I was going to do 5–15 tins per ones I really like, then fill out with random single tins I haven't tried. That being said, bulk is a perfect option, and for staples like LJ 432 or Haunted Bookshop, those make sense to buy in 8oz+ bags.

Reactions: Winnipeger

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I know this sounds like a joke but have you considered opening a tobacco store? I don’t know what retailers pay for tins but maybe that’s the cheapest way to get to 1000 tins.

Reactions: Winnipeger

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I do well with specific questions. Not so much broader questions that require a book's worth of writing. But, sure... feel free to ask me what you want. I read a few books, and I researched and called people who were currently working in the tobacco curing and manufacturing part of tobacco industry. So, maybe I can help with specific questions.

A tip though, if you try to contact people in that aspect of the tobacco industry, there is a whole separate jargon. They won't know what the hell you mean by Virginias. They are called brightleaf varietals. And, there are a few other differences. They won't know what a red Virginia is for sure, because the process is called color curing. Maybe that will help head off some problems.
The Seed Gods delivered!!! Let the party begin.

IMG_6289.jpeg

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Where to begin ....

#1 - when your order from outside Canada there is no ( zero ) weight limit that is NOT dutiable and taxable. In "some" cases 200 grams ( or less ) might come through un scathed, but this depends on the dollar value and the customs official "examining" the documentation and package. It's hit and miss, although as of late I have found even a single 50 gram tin will get "tagged" and I use the word tagged with tongue in cheek. Being in BC where a 50 gram tin retails for around $60.00 US, it is worth while for customs to do the paper work to collect their pound of flesh.

#2 - if you are out of the country the dollar value and weight permitted to bring back duty and tax free varies. 24 hours or 7 days, but the maximum limit is 200 cigarettes, plus 50 cigars, plus 200 grams of pipe tobacco. Not one of the three BUT total. Many think you're permitted only one of the three, but it is total, according to a Canada Customs official I know.

#3 - 100 tins at a single time will value up beyond $2000.00 CDN which will require a formal customs declaration and more than likely not be permitted as personal use. It will most likely be considered a commercial shipment, which opens a whole other door off whoop A$$!

#4 - Federal duty and tax is one level. Beyond that each province adds their own tobacco tax and it varies from province to province.

#5 - IF you order online make sure the documentation is correctly filled in and accurate. Declarations such as "pipe filler" or "hobby supplies" might get you tagged in the CPEC computer data base for 7 years. Then each and every package, no matter what, will become of interest to our "friends" at Canada Customs. They may also take note of the shipper and their name entered into the system and the same will apply to anything and everything they ship, not only to you, BUT anyone in Canada.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's the way it is now. YMMV Know the rules of the game, before you attempt to play the game. If you don't like the rules of the game, make your voice heard to your elected official.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Good Day

I'm starting to build a "deep cellar", and I want ~1 000 tins in the collection over the next few years. Canada has a duty rate of $9.90 CAD / 50 grams of tobacco. My question, does anyone know if that's a stable rate over X tins or does it change? I just shipped 100 tins to a mailbox in Buffalo, which I want to pick up and bring back, will the charges be ~$990 CAD?

Cheers
Call Canada Border Services - they'll give you the exact calculation so you can do it yourself. I have it for Quebec. The provincial tax in Ontario is a lot more than here, but if you call them, you'll get the exact calculation figures.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Where to begin ....

#1 - when your order from outside Canada there is no ( zero ) weight limit that is NOT dutiable and taxable. In "some" cases 200 grams ( or less ) might come through un scathed, but this depends on the dollar value and the customs official "examining" the documentation and package. It's hit and miss, although as of late I have found even a single 50 gram tin will get "tagged" and I use the word tagged with tongue in cheek. Being in BC where a 50 gram tin retails for around $60.00 US, it is worth while for customs to do the paper work to collect their pound of flesh.

#2 - if you are out of the country the dollar value and weight permitted to bring back duty and tax free varies. 24 hours or 7 days, but the maximum limit is 200 cigarettes, plus 50 cigars, plus 200 grams of pipe tobacco. Not one of the three BUT total. Many think you're permitted only one of the three, but it is total, according to a Canada Customs official I know.

#3 - 100 tins at a single time will value up beyond $2000.00 CDN which will require a formal customs declaration and more than likely not be permitted as personal use. It will most likely be considered a commercial shipment, which opens a whole other door off whoop A$$!

#4 - Federal duty and tax is one level. Beyond that each province adds their own tobacco tax and it varies from province to province.

#5 - IF you order online make sure the documentation is correctly filled in and accurate. Declarations such as "pipe filler" or "hobby supplies" might get you tagged in the CPEC computer data base for 7 years. Then each and every package, no matter what, will become of interest to our "friends" at Canada Customs. They may also take note of the shipper and their name entered into the system and the same will apply to anything and everything they ship, not only to you, BUT anyone in Canada.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's the way it is now. YMMV Know the rules of the game, before you attempt to play the game. If you don't like the rules of the game, make your voice heard to your elected official.
I wish I knew all of this when I lived in Canada. There’s a lot I miss but I’m sure it goes without saying that buying tobacco while living there is not one of them.

Reactions: briarblues