PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
Good Day

I'm starting to build a "deep cellar", and I want ~1 000 tins in the collection over the next few years. Canada has a duty rate of $9.90 CAD / 50 grams of tobacco. My question, does anyone know if that's a stable rate over X tins or does it change? I just shipped 100 tins to a mailbox in Buffalo, which I want to pick up and bring back, will the charges be ~$990 CAD?

Cheers

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
It'll be a lot more than that. Duty is part of it, but provincial and federal excise taxes both apply too. 100 tins of tobacco is going to cost you about 3 grand, but I doubt they'd even let you bring in that much.
Ya, that's another problem, I don't know how to bring in that much tobacco unless I ship it in small parcel, or, just don't declare it and risk it, which I honestly want to avoid if possible, and economical.

Has anyone tried shipping various amount to Ontario? I've done 3 or 4 tins before, but never more than that. When I go to pick up more than 4 tins, I drive to buffalo and bring it back myself.

Also, buying the tobacco in Ontario is a nonstarter, tins can honestly range upwards of $50, and are completely covered to prevent knowing what you're
buying.

Example: Cornell & Diehl Cornell Diehl Haunted Bookshop - https://www.walpertobacco.com/cornell-diehl-haunted-bookshop.html

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

amurdoch23

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
Sorry, I should be more clear, I know they state a limit of 200g, but has anyone tried to bring in more and declare it? I've absolutely brought in more than 200g in one go, and declared it, I think my largest declared shipment was 500g+ from LJ Perreti's.

It's really up to the border people, so I'm just looking for recommendations.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Sorry, I should be more clear, I know they state a limit of 200g, but has anyone tried to bring in more and declare it? I've absolutely brought in more than 200g in one go, and declared it, I think my largest declared shipment was 500g+ from LJ Perreti's.

It's really up to the border people, so I'm just looking for recommendations.
As far as I know you're allowed 200 grams duty free, and theres also a limit of duty free tobacco you can have at your residence at one time. So as long as you pay duty you can bring as much tobacco as you want. But be warned, the sticker shock when you get that bill will be something else. It's 9$ per 50 grams then theres money on each gram of tobacco. It will be a couple thousand

Reactions: AroEnglish

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
In my experience, when you get slapped with duty, taxes and fees, it works out to as high as $1 per gram, which is how much my local B&M charges for bulk, so on 100 tins, that could be as much as $5000.00...

(minus the 4 tin exemption if you spend more than 7 days in the U.S.)

I say again, good luck!

Reactions: AroEnglish

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah, my horror stories include 77 dollars in tax on 2 tins (50g each) of Sir John's, and that time I traded a guy a pipe for a pound of tobacco, and got taxed on the tobacco for a huge loss on the trade. Couple hundred bucks and that's like 15 years ago.

So the short answer is, don't bring 100 tins into Canada, you'll get crushed.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Whole leaf. (Unless you have looked into that already in which case carry on)

Agree. Whole leaf unprocessed tobacco is allowed to be shipped into Canada through the mail. I believe there may be 5% to 15% tax. You can developed your own blends. I have done it and it worked out ok. You will have to remove the stems and shred it but it is not to difficult, just a little time consuming. The manual shredding machines are not expensive. There are at least two online suppliers of whole leaf with several leaf's to chose from, including Perique.
Good luck.