Can I Use Open Tins for Storage or Move to Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
As others said, it depends largely on where you live, if you live in area where humidity is high, I don't think its necessary to jar it. But even keep it in tin, keep it from direct sunlight or open area, keep it in the drawer or cabinet would be better

FoggyMorning

Can't Leave
Jul 15, 2023
Kanagawa, Japan
I've got tins that I opened up to 2 years ago, and only open once or twice a year, and the tobacco is still about the same moisture it came in new. They're mostly full. Round screw top and C&D style with plastic lid and all cardboard inserts in place. I'm not advocating open tins as viable long term storage solutions, I'm just pointing at that an unsealed tin of good construction can do a pretty good job of maintaining a decent level of moisture if they're still pretty full and you keep the paper/cardboard covers in there.
I have had the same experience as you. C&D-style tins are really handy; they do a good job of keeping tobacco moist. Although you can smell the tobacco through their thin plastic lids, I haven't found any adverse effects on the taste.

On the other hand, if the tobacco comes in square tins like Mac Baren's, I definitely jar them up or move them to a round tin.

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
I've been able to scrounge around the house and find enough jars for all my tins. However, some of them I did not wash before placing the tobacco in them (they were dishwashed then stored) and some of the tops are rusted. Should I take the tobacco out, wash the jars, and get new tops for them? Or am I overthinking this

Reactions: FLDRD

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you dont know how long they will be storing the tobacco use new lids...or stick some plastic wrap in between if you are worried.

Reactions: FLDRD

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I have a pretty tall stack of Orlik tins (1.7oz size with the screw on tops) and not a lot of jars. Can I keep these opened tins in their original screw top containers, or should I move them to jars? Some of them may be dried out potentially (I got them from a friend who was cellaring for a long time but I'm not exactly sure how to tell); are these blends ruined if that's the case, or can rehydrating those potentially effected revive them?
Jar that tobacco. This is industry standard!

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
I use Brigham Crystal Jars in my tobacco cabinet where I store jars and opened tins.

Keeps humidity at 70% in the cabinet and I monitor it with a hygrometer. The Brighams are not that expensive and can be reloaded with a humidifying liquid when necessary.

This system works great for me, however my collection is only a dozen jars and 30 tins.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
The Ball company loves me, they send me Christmas cards.
I’m also a Ball jar guy. The new ones are great. But you can collect them. Production started in the late 1800’s to the present. What is cool about the early ones is few exist but they are relatively cheap because there is not much demand for them. There are so many early types. It is cool to store your tobacco in an an ancient jar. I get most from ETSY and some on eBay.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
When I open a tin and have a first smoke out of it, I assess the humidity of the contents and determine if I'd like to keep it as-is or let it dry some. If it's good to go, it gets dumped straight into a canning jar. Otherwise, I let it sit in the tin to gradually lose some of the moisture, checking it occasionally to see if it's jar-ready.

I've found that tobaccos with more additives (aromatics) can be left in the tins, and they will take a long while to dry out, if they dry out at all. Tobaccos without all of the added sugar and humectants will lose moisture pretty rapidly.

As others have said, it also depends on the humidity in your locale. I recently moved from a typically dry area to a very humid area, and I'm having to adapt and adjust my methods accordingly. Since I prefer my tobacco on the dry side, I might have to employ an alternative means of drying.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I've made the mistake of leaving tobacco in a tin after opening and then storing in that tin. Dried out within 4 months. This was a tin of Nightcap. Fortunately, it was not totally crispy, so I was able to re-hydrate and save it. Now, I jar all f my opened tins. Cheap insurance.
I'm in hot, humid west-central FL!