Can I Use Open Tins for Storage or Move to Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
I have a pretty tall stack of Orlik tins (1.7oz size with the screw on tops) and not a lot of jars. Can I keep these opened tins in their original screw top containers, or should I move them to jars? Some of them may be dried out potentially (I got them from a friend who was cellaring for a long time but I'm not exactly sure how to tell); are these blends ruined if that's the case, or can rehydrating those potentially effected revive them?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Truly dried out tobacco really is drier than one thinks. Open tins are fine for consumption within 2 to 3 weeks. If longer say a month then jar it up. I go the extra step and vacuum seal the jars but some folks think it stops the natural fermentation. Up to you to vacuum seal. But jaring will preserve the flavor nuances for long term 1 month or longer open use.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
A lot depends on how you like your tobacco. I generally like mine dry so a couple months in tins isn't a problem. it will get smoked. Long-term, it should be jarred, although it may be a bit late in the game for the ones you already have. Rehydration can increase the moisture level of a dried-out tobacco but much has been permanently lost from a flavor perspective. Some of that goodness isn't coming back.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've got tins that I opened up to 2 years ago, and only open once or twice a year, and the tobacco is still about the same moisture it came in new. They're mostly full. Round screw top and C&D style with plastic lid and all cardboard inserts in place. I'm not advocating open tins as viable long term storage solutions, I'm just pointing at that an unsealed tin of good construction can do a pretty good job of maintaining a decent level of moisture if they're still pretty full and you keep the paper/cardboard covers in there.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have a pretty tall stack of Orlik tins (1.7oz size with the screw on tops) and not a lot of jars. Can I keep these opened tins in their original screw top containers, or should I move them to jars? Some of them may be dried out potentially (I got them from a friend who was cellaring for a long time but I'm not exactly sure how to tell); are these blends ruined if that's the case, or can rehydrating those potentially effected revive them?
Are they all Orlik? Or did you get bulk from a friend that you used Orlik tins for your own purpose? That wasn't clear to me... Sorry.
Can't imagine why you would have more than one tin of the same blend open.
If they are all Orlik, new and in unopened tins, they should last for quite a long time.

Reactions: elvishrunes

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Another consideration is if the tobacco has PG - polypropylene glycol - to maintain moisture or casings potentially which maintain moisture. I have left out certain aromatics for weeks and no noticable change in moisture while other aromatics I've noticed reduced flavor.

Also consider where you store the tobacco. In humid climates like Florida it's probably going to last longer than in drier climates like Arizona.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Elric

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I always move it straight to a jar as it takes me more than a few weeks to go through it. Just figure out a way to keep track of what’s in the jar. I do fairly well by memory, appearance and nose, but admittedly more than a few times I’ve had to stop and think about what’s in the jar.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I don’t jar my tobacco. I live in a generally mild climate with fairly ideal humidity. I have tins that are many years old that taste no different or even better than they did when I first opened them.

Reactions: FLDRD

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
Are they all Orlik? Or did you get bulk from a friend that you used Orlik tins for your own purpose? That wasn't clear to me... Sorry.
Can't imagine why you would have more than one tin of the same blend open.
If they are all Orlik, new and in unopened tins, they should last for quite a long time.
Most are Orlik (only one blend I got two tins of, no idea why). I have one White Knight tin which I just opened. None of them are bulk just in random tins

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I always move it straight to a jar as it takes me more than a few weeks to go through it. Just figure out a way to keep track of what’s in the jar. I do fairly well by memory, appearance and nose, but admittedly more than a few times I’ve had to stop and think about what’s in the jar.
Where do you live? Makes a lot of difference in how tobacco is cared for.

Reactions: sardonicus87

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Seems some tins are better than others. I just got some hh latakia flake. Tins are a rectangle. They are less than useless to seal the tobacco again. They look cool but are garbage. I don’t know if all non round tins are like that but keep it in mind.

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
Seems some tins are better than others. I just got some hh latakia flake. Tins are a rectangle. They are less than useless to seal the tobacco again. They look cool but are garbage. I don’t know if all non round tins are like that but keep it in mind.
I have a square tin of St Bruno I received (wasn't much left in it) that is very dry at this point. I know these square ones don't have any semblance of a seal, that's why I ask about the screw top circle ones since they can be cranked down pretty good

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
It's extremely humid where I live. The house basically stays around 55% RH with the central air/heating.

I have some air-tight food bins that I keep my open tins in. Open my tobacco cabinet and you can't smell anything, so I guess they work. Open the Virginia bin and you get a fruity, blueberry smell, open the burley bin and you get a floral smell like some herbal teas. This isn't like preventing aging, but it does lock in moisture. I'm sure given enough time, the moisture content of all the tobaccos in all the tins in a bin would equalize, but they're all definitely wetter than if the opened tins (with lids back on) just sat out in the open air of the house, and for sure wetter than pulling some out and leaving it on the table to dry for 30 min.

I've had open tins in this bins for as long as a year that never dried out and tasted just fine. Hell, my tin of Savinelli Brunello Flake was produced in 2018 if I remember right and opened in 2022 and the rim has started to get rust on it. Tobacco inside is just fine and tastes the same every time I have at it (open about a year now), and it's one of those square tins.

So not just humidity, but storage matters too. Leaving stuff in tins is going to be different if you have a glass front cabinet that gets sun vs a solid door that blocks the sun.

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
It's
It's extremely humid where I live. The house basically stays around 55% RH with the central air/heating.

I have some air-tight food bins that I keep my open tins in. Open my tobacco cabinet and you can't smell anything, so I guess they work. Open the Virginia bin and you get a fruity, blueberry smell, open the burley bin and you get a floral smell like some herbal teas. This isn't like preventing aging, but it does lock in moisture. I'm sure given enough time, the moisture content of all the tobaccos in all the tins in a bin would equalize, but they're all definitely wetter than if the opened tins (with lids back on) just sat out in the open air of the house, and for sure wetter than pulling some out and leaving it on the table to dry for 30 min.

I've had open tins in this bins for as long as a year that never dried out and tasted just fine. Hell, my tin of Savinelli Brunello Flake was produced in 2018 if I remember right and opened in 2022 and the rim has started to get rust on it. Tobacco inside is just fine and tastes the same every time I have at it (open about a year now), and it's one of those square tins.

So not just humidity, but storage matters too. Leaving stuff in tins is going to be different if you have a glass front cabinet that gets sun vs a solid door that blocks the sun.
humid in my neck of the woods as well. Everything sits in my cool dark closet with 0 sun exposure and minimal light exposure overall. So even leaving tins in Tupperware basically would work in my situation?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Most are Orlik (only one blend I got two tins of, no idea why). I have one White Knight tin which I just opened. None of them are bulk just in random tins
So it seems most are new and unopened. I think you'll notice the replies indicate that leaving them as is, generally is accepted as sufficient.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Garbage?? No, quite useful for smoking out of for a couple of weeks. Useless for long term storage, yes.
It's

humid in my neck of the woods as well. Everything sits in my cool dark closet with 0 sun exposure and minimal light exposure overall. So even leaving tins in Tupperware basically would work in my situation?
Where is that, please?

Please put your location in your Profile!

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
It's

I mean, I dunno about tupperware... that isn't particularly known for being air tight. The food bins I use are specifically made to be air-tight. The lids have gaskets and everything.