Can I Learn How To Drink Bourbon Or Whiskey?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Get a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and cut it with a little water or maybe a cube of ice. You'll find what you're looking for.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well there is no shortage of suggestions of members personal favorites, so I will spare you mine. To answer your question, yes, you can probably develop a palette for flavours in bourbon much like you have for tobaccos. I find they do pair well, at least for me. The smokiness of a nice scotch pairs very well with a nice blend in a good pipe.
Again, just like with a tobacco journey, the adventure is in the journey itself.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you're in a city, get the free weekly entertainment "newspaper". You know, the one with the smut on the last few pages and all of the club listings.
Call around to a few popular restaurant/pubs and see who is doing bourbon or whiskey tastings. You may also try "googling" your city name and the term whiskey tasting.
Often for $20-40, you'll get a "flight" with an assortment of whiskeys and a snobby tour guide to tell you what you should be tasting and how his/her favorite is the one you should buy. But, it's a good way to get an intro to brands better than Old Sockwater (tm).
I love bourbon, but it makes me break out in handcuffs, so I do more cognacs and brandies now. My wife is a scotch, single malt lover. Often, but not always, sour mash people don't like scotch and vice versa. Some lucky devils enjoy both.
Figuring it all out is half the fun, like new tobacco tins. Good luck!
jay-roger.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I would suggest getting a bottle of Makers Mark, Bulliet Bourbon Frontier Whiskey, Buffalo Trace etc. While not high end bourbon, they're going to be better than Jim Beam, Evan Williams and the like. Better to start with a good sipping whiskey than a whiskey that's for mixing.
I prefer my whiskey at room temperature with just a touch of water. No more than a spoonful as this will take the edge off the whiskey. It will take the alcohol from 40% down to about 35% which makes it ideal for sipping.
I don't normally use ice cubes, but if I do I use only 1 cube. I then let the whiskey sit for about 5-10 minutes to allow the ice cube to melt a bit. This will help take the edge off, and again take it from 40% down to the 35% making it more enjoyable for sipping.
Enjoy with a nice cigar or pipe.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I very much agree with metalheadycigarguy. Those are all excellent bourbons to try. They have plenty bourbony vanilla/caramel flavor and natural sweetness (unlike that Wild Turkey Honey, which has added sugars), but are balanced with a bit of spice. Personally, I don't like the Bushmill's or Jameson recommendations. They're typical light-bodied, bland Irish whisky's. Most Canadian whiskey is similar. If I were to recommend an Irish brand for a starter whisky, it'd be Paddy's, but only because it's Bourbon-like. I don't care for Scotch due to the 100% malted barley mash bill. Gimme corn and rye!
Maybe someday I'll grow up and find that my palate has matured and I'll then appreciate Scotch and Dunhill Elizabethan.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I enjoy Scotch and Whisky in general quite a bit, with Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 being my favorite whiskies. If I was trying to ease a buddy into Whisky I would buy a bottle of each of the following and add water as needed. Oh, and go to YouTube and look up Ralfy Reviews!
1) Glenmorangie 10yr. Original ~ Single Malt Scotch (easy)

2) Highland Park 15yr. ~ Single Malt Scotch (nectar)

3) Blanton's Original ~ Bourbon (spicy)

4) Makers Mark ~ Bourbon (easy)

5) Chivas Regal 18yr. ~ Blended Scotch (nectar)

6) Johnnie Walker Double Black ~ Blended Scotch (smoky)

7) Aberlour A’bunadh ~ Single Malt Scotch (fruity nectar)

8) Redbreast 12yr. ~ Single Pot Still Irish (lighter than most Scotch but still complex)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmm. If you like sweet,and don't like smokey, stay away from Islay malts. I'd suggest Highland Park - a lovely dram. Slowly. Sip it. Don't slam it down.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I would suggest looking for Single Malt Scotch from the Speyside or Lowland regions of Scotland. They tend to be less "smoky" and more honey/vanilla flavored. I don't like the heavily peated scotch because my taste buds always pick up the iodine notes.
A good starting point for blended scotch is Famous Grouse. It's not one of the bigger names nor more expensive, but its a good buy for the money.

When I was smoking mostly cigars, I was always buying Dalmore Cigar Malt but it was discontinued around 2010. Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve is available but it sells for over $75 a bottle.
What ever you do, stop doing shots of Cuervo. If all you want is the burn, buy the cheaper store brand tequila and you'll get the same results. Cuervo is only good for those syrupy frozen drinks passed off as margaritas. Give me a good Anejo Tequila (aged) that's smooth enough for sipping.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd totally avoid single malts until such time you find you like blends.
Whiskey: Maker's Mark

Whisky: Dewar's White Label

Irish: Bushmills
Start with about half water and an ice cube or two, then cut down the water over time. Then omit the ice cube and drink it neat at room temperature if that appeals. If you get to that last step and are enjoying it, try the single malts listed above.

Dec 28, 2015
To answer your original question - probably not. But for the sake of trying I would suggest Old Forrester for a bourbon and Jameson’s for an Irish. I love scotch but as others have said I would wait on that. Also agree with starting with water and ice. Then taper down to just ice. Then do what you want to.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I am a fan of scotch. Blends are a good place to start but some single malts are rather friendly also. Some one once told me if you go the next step up from the entry level whisky you will get a huge improvement in quality. For the most part I find that's true. As far as good scotch these three are in the $30-$45 range. Add a splash of water until you find the sweet spot where the flavor opens up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As whiskey goes, bourbon is easy to enjoy. You can tune it back with rocks and branch water, and tune it upward toward neat, to suit. Don't overdo. And don't miss zack's intervention.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Looks like I have some homework to do. The idea of a tasting is intriguing and makes a lot of sense. I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. I feel like such a newbie, so this is what it feels like when a new guy comes here and asks what tobacco tastes good. The choices are a bit overwhelming but I will narrow it down and report back on my findings. The good things is that if I buy something I don't like, my 22 year old son and his friends will drink the leftovers.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Try a Highland or Speyside Single Malt. Those regions are less peaty/smoky. Lowlands and Islays punch you in the throat with smoke and peat. I also agree that you should try a good Irish Whisky. Bourbons are not my bag of donuts.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
My wife thinks some Scotch smells like tequila. I've never tasted or smell it, she also says Haddos Delight taste like grapefruit. So go figure.
I stepped away from Boubon because of the lack of complexity that I found in Scotch.
My favorite blend is Highland Cream. Spending more than $30 dollars for any size blend is waste in my mind,but to each his own.
As far as Single Malts, Highland Park, Ardbeg, Glenmorangie Ruban, Laphroig, Bunnahabhain 12, and Glengoyne are my favorites.
If you want to get into Scotch but want something akin to Bourbon not full on Scotch try The Quiet Man Single Malt Irish or Knappogue Castle Simgle Malt Irish. Great intro into the world of Single Malt from a Bourbon drinkers taste.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
My wife jumped into whisky with both feet.
Few years back she asked me to mix her up a drink and "surprise her" so I gave her a Jack Daniel Single Barrel on the rocks. She came back pretty soon and said "That was maybe the best drink I've ever had, what did you make?"
"Whiskey."
"Well, I love whiskey."

Status
Not open for further replies.