Can I Learn How To Drink Bourbon Or Whiskey?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Browns are like tobacco, it's all about the journey. If you like sweet, try the mid priced rye's where the sweetness is more prevalent. Knob Creek is good and it's 100 proof, as you go up in price, and theoretically quality, the sweetness is overcome by the process.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers

One more try

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Start with about half water and an ice cube or two, then cut down the water over time. Then omit the ice cube and drink it neat at room temperature if that appeals. If you get to that last step and are enjoying it, try the single malts listed above.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I suggest trying Angel’s Envy Finished Rye, it has a sweeter finish to it. I get notes of maple syrup. Of course it isn’t a bourbon, but I think it’s worth a “shot”.
If you find your way to the Detroit area, I am always happy to share!
One day I will figure out what I missed on posting a picture correctly. Thanks snowhill.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Snohill, damn that is impressive.
I believe that was actually Mahew's pic.
Someone caught this video of him shopping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQ1WciYZgg
EDIT: j/k of course Mahew...you've got an impressive collection there. :clap:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
If you want to get to know scotch, I would recommend trying some contrasting tastes. If you drink a glass of Lagavulin, one of the best of the hardcore peaty kind, and continue with a glass of, say, Glenmorangie from sherry or port casks, you might appreciate the sweet fruitiness of the latter.

However, considering your sweet tooth, I would recommend high end cognac, calvados, both fruity, or rum. These are all much sweeter, especially rum, and just as gentlemanly in my opinion.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
We all taste things differently and we like what we like. If 18 year old Macallan tasted like kerosene to you, then bourbon or Irish will probably taste like premium unleaded. I'll echo Workman's thoughts and say try your hand at rum instead. There's a lot of great rum out there and top shelf rum is cheaper than high end whiskey/whisky to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.