PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
sablebrush, good questions. The orifice is a hole, which is indicative of an early date. The one thing which is very strange and unusual is the way the mouthpiece is attached to the stem. It's a screw thread but very fine . I'll have to take a photo of it, if I can find a way to post a picture on here. What is really strange is there is no COM stamped on it, you usually have some clue.

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
foolwiththefez well that's a great shame but you are entitled to place your business with whomever you want. Good luck with all your future acquisitions.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The orifice is a hole, which is indicative of an early date. The one thing which is very strange and unusual is the way the mouthpiece is attached to the stem. It's a screw thread but very fine.
Screw tenon would place the pipe in the 1920's at the latest, and probably earlier. Pipemakers moved away from that joinery in the early years of the 20th century, though such pieces continued to be made into the '20's. Is the tenon bone?
The lack of any other identifiers tends to support the notion of a proprietary tobacconist's name. Nothing stamped on the case?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I thought we could hock on here in the form of advertisement. Im trying to find out where there was an advertisement to sell the Peter Pump. I may just be trying to wade through the dust. As it has yet to settle.

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
sablebrush I'll photograph it tomorrow it is not a normal screw tenon. If I can find out how to upload a photo on here.

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
trial
ivor%2Bgibson.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might try this!
To get photos to load quickly and show in the post, you first have to upload the photo to this site.

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and down to Album

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and copy the URL, then paste same in desired thread, using the IMG tag in the compose window.
underexposedexample-600x360.jpg

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
sablebush I'm afraid I misled you with my earlier post in describing the mouthpiece I got it mixed up with another pipe I have. OK the end of the mouthpiece is just the normal slit and the mouthpiece is a normal tenon not a screwfit.

oystermouth

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
By the way I have a copy of Pipes, Artisan and Trademarks by Jose Manuel Lopes and also 'Who Made that Pipe' by Wilczak and Colwell (it's actually Tom Colwell's personal copy) as well as numerous catalogues dating back to 1900 and loads of advertisements etc so if anyone has a pipe they can't quite identify please feel free to drop me a PM, always happy to help. As you can see I have finally found a way to load pictures.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, you did it! And nice job with the close up.
Let me back up and apologize for criticizing your photos. At the time, you appeared to be a person— a "civilian" if you will, not a professional pipe merchant— who was asking a question regarding a pipe he was thinking of buying or had bought, and used pictures from the site of the merchant to illustrate. There was no indication that it was you, Bob Hinton, and that you were indeed "Bob's Briars"; and you completely avoided or evaded answering several direct questions from me and others.
Had I known those were your photos, I would not have critiqued them as strongly as I did. By telling you to man up I was referring to being apparent as to who you are. Regretfully I went over the top in pursuing that. Apology offered!
And I regret I haven't any notion re Peter Pump. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.