Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
I sip as often as I want until the pipe starts getting hot, then I breath smoke until it cools down then I sip again etc etc... the breath smoke when you exhale through your nose lets a tiny puff of cooling air through the pipe. Sometimes I get some tongue bite but then I just sip on something acidic, coffee and juice work fine or my favourite non coffee smoking beverage Fresca grapefruit soda.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lithicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
I'm just chiming in to say that as a noobie to all of this pipe smoking business, I found this thread very helpful! Thank you all for your responses!!

Reactions: nathaniel

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
I let the heat of the pipe tell me if my cadence is too fast. If I feel the bowl temp start to ramp up I may even let the pipe go out and relight once it cools off.

I do my best to keep the pipe just warm throughout the smoke.

A hot smoke and good flavor don't match

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
1, 2, 3, 4, puff, 1, 2, 3, 4, puff, 1, 2, 3, 4, puff, 1, 2, 3, 4, puff...
This is what I try to do
After the pipe is going, I never actively puff on my pipe.
How the hell

And, I don't know how to add multiple people in a response but @Frog Snacks earlier said "I sip as often as I want until the pipe starts getting hot, then I breath smoke until it cools down then I sip again etc etc..."

That's basically what I try to do.

After trying to niftify my response I can't remember what I was originally trying to say. So, FWIW.

Last edited:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I don't think about it. Seriously I am from the school of sipping. If I focus on pulling really gently kind of close to minimally I don't have to worry about rhythm or cadence at all. And after a while it turns into just stick the dang pipe in your mouth and you'll do your thing naturally. Also you already know what a sip is. To get a good idea of how little effort you need do a few rounds of breath smoking just to see how little draw is needed.
Yup, it's just second nature.

Reactions: obc83
H

HRPufnstuf

I "puff" more frequently and harder when I am clenching. This is typical of my cobs because I smoke them at work 80% of the time. Consequently, they take a beating. My evening pipes are a more relaxed smoke and in hand rather than clenched. When the pipe gets hottish I back off.

Relighting is not a sin. It's better than scorching a cherished pipe.

Reactions: AroEnglish

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
Not sure what my cadence is; but I do know that I smoke too fast a lot of the time. Gotta work on that.