PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’m also a hot puffer…. I smoke a hot fast pipe and generally only slow down when the bowl gets hot, although each smoke session can vary. However after 3/4 of the bowl and the nic kicks in I may enter a “dream state” and slow down cause I’m thinking of something else.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
C130 ROLLIN THA STRIPP-AH
GONNA TAKE A LIL RIDE
GONNA TAKE A LIL TRIP-AH
STAND UP BUCKLE UP SHUFFLE TO THE DOOR!
GONNA JUMP RIGHT OUT AND COUNT TO FOUR!

LEFT-LEFT-LEFT,RIGHT,LEFT!

Wait what were we talking about?

Reactions: Piping Abe

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I think it works best when having a meditative frame of mind, to pace yourself and being mindful of how gentle you can sip to get the most flavor.

Reactions: AroEnglish

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I dislike the term as too many interpret to mean you have to maintain the same beat over the course of a whole bowl.

And for me it varies on every bowl, and within every smoke. YMMV.
While I agree on the variables, the term is right. It refers to the rhythm, in this case of stoking the ember. It changes, of course it does. Just like the cadence of the song picks up or shows down according to the needs of the song, or a walking cadence may change according to the terrain. The rhythms of smoking.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
As a clencher and relatively novitiate pipe smoker, I’ve consciously trained myself to do the breath dealio, sometimes sealed lips, sometimes not. Pipe may still get hot, but bite is very rare nowadays, and bowls burn much nicer.
I also dry what I smoke every chance I get.

this says exactly what I was going to. Think I'm going to try some thicker walled pipes. Someone on YT said they actually kind blow back through the stem as a way of mitigating heat??

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
I don’t actively watch my cadence when smoking because I try to use the “breath method”. I just notice if I’m smoking to hard because the smell gets more cigarette like and my wife enjoys my presence less lol.

Reactions: AroEnglish

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While I agree on the variables, the term is right. It refers to the rhythm, in this case of stoking the ember. It changes, of course it does. Just like the cadence of the song picks up or shows down according to the needs of the song, or a walking cadence may change according to the terrain. The rhythms of smoking.
I maintain the term may cause some smokers trouble. That is all.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I like to see voluminous clouds of smoke. I am much like the OP - I tend to freight train it through the first 1/3 of the bowl and then I notice the bowl is heating up and slow down. Sipping really doesn't work with me, although I make an extra effort with good VAs and most aros which I find particularly unforgiving and tend to get get hot and flavorless. English blends are great for agressive chooching.
Keeps the bugs away!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Seriously, mostly a sipper and always working at getting better at it - if I can relax and not think about it I think I’ve gotten things right.

Reactions: jpmcwjr