PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
What state is that?
Not PA.
It varies from state to state, yes. Retailers in PA do have to order from PA licensed wholesalers. If ordering from a manufacturer, then they have to satisfy stamping requirements If ordering from manufacturers from out of state, the manufacturer has to have a PA OTP license.

Reactions: ofafeather

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I might take a pass on this, due to the massive tin anxiety that I get on these small batches. I have been in for 6-10 tins on each of the last 2 Sunbears, the limited GLP Cumberland, the Savinelli 145, the MB Navy Plug, the last 2 Carolina Red Flakes and the last 2 CRFWPs. I have not yet mustered up the courage to open any of them, though I was able to sample the first CRFWP as I gave a tin to a friend for his birthday a year ago. I recently met up with a member here to purchase a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar and I'm realizing now that I may never get the cajones up to actually open and smoke it. I think the rarity factor is actually having the opposite of the intended effect on me, though I suppose it doesn't matter much to the vendor as long as they get paid - might be a trend worth considering long-term if others are like me though.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I might take a pass on this, due to the massive tin anxiety that I get on these small batches. I have been in for 6-10 tins on each of the last 2 Sunbears, the limited GLP Cumberland, the Savinelli 145, the MB Navy Plug, the last 2 Carolina Red Flakes and the last 2 CRFWPs. I have not yet mustered up the courage to open any of them, though I was able to sample the first CRFWP as I gave a tin to a friend for his birthday a year ago. I recently met up with a member here to purchase a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar and I'm realizing now that I may never get the cajones up to actually open and smoke it. I think the rarity factor is actually having the opposite of the intended effect on me, though I suppose it doesn't matter much to the vendor as long as they get paid - might be a trend worth considering long-term if others are like me though.
I know what you mean. For me, it is almost a fear of loving the blend but not being able to get more. I changed my outlook a few years back about enjoying my best pipes and favorite blends more often. I used to reserve them for the perfect time that never really came. Then I started thinking that nobody knows when they will die and what a shame it would be if you never got to open that rare tin and your favorite pipe rarely got smoked

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know what you mean. For me, it is almost a fear of loving the blend but not being able to get more. I changed my outlook a few years back about enjoying my best pipes and favorite blends more often. I used to reserve them for the perfect time that never really came. Then I started thinking that nobody knows when they will die and what a shame it would be if you never got to open that rare tin and your favorite pipe rarely got smoked
Indeed. Leave no pipe unsmoked and no leaf unpacked.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I'm going to have to walk away. I did a head count of jars and tins a few days ago and realized that those ten tins of Scarecrow I bought back in Fall pushed me over 500 pounds of tobacco.
Always amazes me to hear about tobacco cellars this massive. I have 1/50th that amount (a little over 10 pounds all told) and feel that I have too much, since I barely smoke a bowl a day, especially in these frigid northern temps. My wife surely agrees.

Now, my tobacco "budget" (which doesn't exist, but I have some fudge room) allows for splurges like this new Folklore, but I'm not sure I'd jump on a whole pound cake. Once opened (which would likely be years down the road), would I chop into 2-4 oz. chunks and re-cellar in jars? What if I hate it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Always amazes me to hear about tobacco cellars this massive. I have 1/50th that amount (a little over 10 pounds all told) and feel that I have too much, since I barely smoke a bowl a day, especially in these frigid northern temps. My wife surely agrees.

Now, my tobacco "budget" (which doesn't exist, but I have some fudge room) allows for splurges like this new Folklore, but I'm not sure I'd jump on a whole pound cake. Once opened (which would likely be years down the road), would I chop into 2-4 oz. chunks and re-cellar in jars? What if I hate it?
It started with the notion that I'd have tobacco for when I could no longer afford it 30 years ago. I generally smoke around a pound per month, sometimes a bit more filling a pipe 5-6 times per day. Even my wife's cellar is quickly approaching 100 pounds not to mention how much RYO we've put back in the past couple of years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Drop in the bucket compared to a few who, for reasons known only to their psychiatrists, have hoards that hover at a ton.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
It started with the notion that I'd have tobacco for when I could no longer afford it 30 years ago. I generally smoke around a pound per month, sometimes a bit more filling a pipe 5-6 times per day. Even my wife's cellar is quickly approaching 100 pounds not to mention how much RYO we've put back in the past couple of years.
Wow, that's really next level. Not only do you have a wife who smokes a pipe, but she has her very own cellar ... with nearly 100 pounds of baccy!

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think in the back of my mind I'm always waiting for the "perfect" time to open one of these but it never seems to come just like you say. I did open a tin of MB Navy Flake that I bought from another member that was 11 years old as soon as I got it and it was incredible, so maybe once these things have been aged a decade I will get less stuck-up about it. Probably not! I need to channel your energy and actually start enjoying some of these things someday!