PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Between Crooner and Gentleman Caller which has more deer tongue? I have some gentleman caller and am disappointed in the deer tongue in it, looking for more...

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Between Crooner and Gentleman Caller which has more deer tongue? I have some gentleman caller and am disappointed in the deer tongue in it, looking for more...
I've read Crooner has more. I'm honestly looking for a little less ha!

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Sorry for the format... I do my reviews in one note...

C&D Crooner 2022

Monday, May 15, 2023
8:15 PM

Peterson Aran 53 Smooth

60° no breeze

Absolutely love the cube cut

Similar tin note to codger blends... Velvet, half and half, etc... Mildly sweet. Cinnamon?

Barely any moisture after breaking the tin... But would stop short of calling dry

Packs extremely well... And dense due to cut

Instantly takes to a lighter... Burn that is perfect and very even

I can tell there will be no issues keeping this lit... And despite the dense pack/cut, it burns rapidly

So many strange, new flavors coming out... I have to assume it's the deer tongue.

At first, sweet, nutty, light cocoa. Again, similar to Velvet.

This changed very quickly(within first quarter of bowl)

Here is where I struggle : it takes on flavors and aromas I can't quite pin down. Slightly sweet, but also slightly bitter and sour. Almost a tiny bit bready. Still maintaining the codger attributes in the background. The retro is not entirely pleasant. Mustache note is surprisingly pleasant and unique... Sweet with almost a cinnamon like quality. Half way through, I began to get the strength of the burley.

At no point did the smoke or pipe become even remotely hot... Possibly the coolest burning tobacco I've ever smoked. The bowl burned EXTREMELY fast, around the half hour mark from light to finish. Absolutely zero tongue bite, however I did get an odd tingly sensation in the back of my throat at points during the smoke.

I would NOT recommend this for beginners or on an empty stomach. I was craving something sweet after the smoke and capped it off with toast, butter, and honey... Wonderful.

All in all, a very perplexing smoke. I could see how some would find it borderline revolting... Others, an entirely enjoyable delicacy that is a break from the vast majority of blends out there. I definitely lie somewhere on the enjoyable side. I think if there had been more than a bowl, the burley may have got me(I'm a lightweight).

3.5 out of 5 stars. If you are looking for something truly unique, give it a try.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have some Crooner from around 2014 or 2015. I always thought of it as having a fair bit of deer tongue. There’s something about the C&D cube cut burley that can get a little harsh for me, and Crooner has a high proportion of it. I usually cut it with something a bit milder (Peretti BPC works well), which tones it down a bit. The DT still shines through just fine.

Reactions: yanoJL

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Alright next order I'm getting a tin.
The tin art is enough to tempt me but the flavour notes of 'peanuts & a hint of mint' from a burley blend has me hooked😅

@dcicero what is the difference between baseball peanuts and ordinary peanuts? I ask being from a Cricket country where we only have beer and KFC.
Try it yet?

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I can’t smoke gentleman caller. It’s just sickening with deer tongue. It seems excessive to me. I don’t know or remember if there’s any topping that could contribute to this.

I’ve recently tried crooner and enjoyed a lot.

It seems like smoking tobacco with a hint of something else.

Nothing like GC.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I'm very intrigued about deer tongue. I've heard Crooner's nicotine is very intense though, so I'm going to hold off trying it until I'm more comfortable with strong blends.