PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Usually smoke VA based but recently looking for an after dinner smoke with a little kick. Looked to burley and came across Crooner. I hated it but kept coming back and now I smoke it daily. The tobacco itself feels so good and silky in hand. It smells fantastic. A slow cadence brings out the best in it and it has a nice nic hit as well. It's a perfect after dinner smoke for me.

I read Deer Tongue is a love or hate thing, but really there is so little in this blend. You can see the leaf pieces. So little deer tongue means Crooner's flavor is mostly just super high quality burley. I think the deer tongue compliments the tobacco perfectly. Sounds weird but the flavor to me is just like a bag of baseball peanuts smell, and a hint of mint. Give it a try if you haven't.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I personally like the blend though the last batch I got was a little light on the DT compared to the batch I got prior in 2020. I mylared a couple of pounds of the 2020. I bought some last year to get free shipping and decided to put it into rotation which is how I noticed the difference. I wish C&D would sell DT in bulk or at least a 2oz tin for mixing because you're right, the burley is out of this world. I just want a pinch more of the DT.

Reactions: STP and dcicero

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Alright next order I'm getting a tin.
The tin art is enough to tempt me but the flavour notes of 'peanuts & a hint of mint' from a burley blend has me hooked😅

@dcicero what is the difference between baseball peanuts and ordinary peanuts? I ask being from a Cricket country where we only have beer and KFC.

• Haha
Reactions: jwussow and STP
I've had one tin of it, years ago. I liked it ok, but I just wasn't crazy about it. I've had a few other very good homegrown blends with it, back when Jitterbug was one here. He was a very experienced tobacco grower. Deer tongue, to me, tastes very... pipe-y, for lack of a better word. It isn't vanilla, or like any other aromatic. It just has a smell like one would expect a pipe to smell... like an aromatic or codger blend, but not like any of them that are on the market. Very unique stuff.
I just don't buy more because of my preference for a different tobacco taste. But, in a pinch, I would smoke it again.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Alright next order I'm getting a tin.
The tin art is enough to tempt me but the flavour notes of 'peanuts & a hint of mint' from a burley blend has me hooked😅

@dcicero what is the difference between baseball peanuts and ordinary peanuts? I ask being from a Cricket country where we only have beer and KFC.
Well I hope you like it! On the peanuts I just mean a bag of shelled peanuts really. You may interpret the flavor the same. Its the closest words I have for it. I also think Presbyterian tastes like capers. I saw someone write that long ago and I swear now that's all I taste.

Reactions: yanoJL and Brendan

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've had one tin of it, years ago. I liked it ok, but I just wasn't crazy about it. I've had a few other very good homegrown blends with it, back when Jitterbug was one here. He was a very experienced tobacco grower. Deer tongue, to me, tastes very... pipe-y, for lack of a better word. It isn't vanilla, or like any other aromatic. It just has a smell like one would expect a pipe to smell... like an aromatic or codger blend, but not like any of them that are on the market. Very unique stuff.
I just don't buy more because of my preference for a different tobacco taste. But, in a pinch, I would smoke it again.
The uniqueness draws me. I've tried over the years to only buy stuff that is obviously different from anything else in the cabinet. Crooner fits the bill easily.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Usually smoke VA based but recently looking for an after dinner smoke with a little kick. Looked to burley and came across Crooner. I hated it but kept coming back and now I smoke it daily. The tobacco itself feels so good and silky in hand. It smells fantastic. A slow cadence brings out the best in it and it has a nice nic hit as well. It's a perfect after dinner smoke for me.

I read Deer Tongue is a love or hate thing, but really there is so little in this blend. You can see the leaf pieces. So little deer tongue means Crooner's flavor is mostly just super high quality burley. I think the deer tongue compliments the tobacco perfectly. Sounds weird but the flavor to me is just like a bag of baseball peanuts smell, and a hint of mint. Give it a try if you haven't.
It is a very nice blend I agree. And the deer tongue brings some wonderful ambience to the overall profile.

Reactions: Brendan

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Crooner? I love the stuff. I only wish I’d jarred up a pound or three several years ago.

Today’s blending has barely any DT and it’s so disappointing.

Are you listening, C&D?
I agree. The latest batch fell flat. Luckily I do have some bulk in mylar from a few years back along with tins from 2019. DT grows wild around here. I might just harvest some next time I run across it.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I agree. The latest batch fell flat. Luckily I do have some bulk in mylar from a few years back along with tins from 2019. DT grows wild around here. I might just harvest some next time I run across it.
My sample from the beginning of the year is just kind of blah, and burleys are really my jam. Tried it again today. Just not much there.

Reactions: yanoJL and FurCoat

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have 2 oz from late 2022 in a jar. I bought a sample of all the C&D blends that contain DT. So far I have only tried Newmarket and liked it okay. I will need to smoke more of it to have an opinion.