PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I didn't get a chance to get to know Dick until the 2012 Throwdown, when I was one of the judges, but couldn't attend because of surgery. We had the chance to communicate afterwards, and he couldn't have been nicer. I voted for his entry and have great respect for his talent. He'll be missed.
Russ

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I was deeply saddened to learn this. I met him once and felt a connection to his character. Smoking a pipe of Bailey's Supreme now in memory of The Chief.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone shared his obituary on another pipe forum, Dick had quite a career it seems.
http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v2/comments/richard_silverman_75/#more

vikingirish

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
Greetings All,
I am a new member of your pipesmagazine.com community and this is my first forum post...and it seems fitting that my first post should be a tribute to the great man, Dick Silverman (Chief Catoonah) who was my friend and tobacconist from the time of my first pipe (2001) until the time of his passing. I used to visit Dick's shop on Bailey Avenue in Ridgefield, CT between 2001 & 2005 at which time he converted to an online business...We still kept in touch sporadically whenever I ordered his wonderful blends online.
What a special place his Bailey Avenue shop was!!!!...Great memories and great conversations...It was like visiting a professor in his laboratory.
I have been continuing to use my tobaccos purchased from Dick some time ago and - as time flies - I hadn't contacted Dick since April 2013...How saddened I was to learn yesterday on your forum that Dick had passed in April 2014, just one short year since our last conversation...
So I am 'late' in hearing the sad news...and following your lead I smoked a bowl of Dick's Sailing Master on the bench outside my home with a full moon in the sky...and remembered the great man whose memory will live on in all of us who knew him.
I am wondering if anyone knows if Dick's establishment - Chief Catoonah - has been continued by new management...perhaps a friend of Dick's who might have taken over?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Regrettably, it appears that family squabbles over Dicks estate have prevented his tobacco business from continuing. At least that is what I've been told. Welcome to the forum!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo vik
Welcome to PM. You will enjoy it. Dick indeed was a true gent and he had some fabulous blends. He was closely tied in with members of the Hudson Valley Pipe Club, and maybe some of them can extract the recipes from the estate.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.