PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
DoverPipes posted this sad message from the Hudson Valley Pipe Club on the sad passing of Dick "Chief Catoonah" Silverman:

It is with great sadness that I and the "Hudson Valley Pipe Club", announce the passing of our friend and club sage, Dick "Chief Catoonah" Silverman.
For those of you who didn't know of Dick, he was the winner of the 2012 "Tobacco Throwdown" at the Chicago Pipe Show, with his sublime creation, "Princes Street Mixture".
Dick was well known within our hobby and ran a B&M Tobacco Shop for many years before going to an online only operation. Dick was always more than generous with those he knew and even those he just met. He was a "TRUE GENTLEMAN"!!!
Gentlemen, please raise a bowl this evening in honor of my friend, Dick "Chief Catoonah" Silverman!!!!
May he rest in peace.......

10259854_10203892807743868_4440912397122365763_n.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
This is horribly sad news. I dealt with Dick several times last year and I had an unbelievably pleasant experience. What a true gentleman Dick was. I am very sad about this. He sent me a sample of Princes Street Mixture and I liked it a lot. Kept meaning to order more. I hope that blend lives on in memory of Dick.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
My condolences to his family and friends. I recently learned of his website but could not place an order since at the time it mentioned he was ill.
I hope a family member or friend will continue to serve the pipe community and honor his legacy and memory.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
By all appearances he seemed like a great pipe man, may he rest in peace and his family and friends find comfort in his memory.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
My brothers and I had the honor of working with Dick during the John Cotton Throwdown. That he was a talented and creative blender was no surprise; that's why he was invited to compete. More unexpected were his sense of humor, humility, willingness to do anything to help the contest be a success, and unfailing good nature.
Events like the Throwdown are mini crucibles whose stresses reveal character. The better I got to know Dick the clearer it became that he was a true gentlemen, and a man richly deserving of his victory and the recognition it brought. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family; may he rest in peace.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I never knew him but member lestrout let me sample some of his tobaccos at a Morley's Pipe Club meeting one night. Damn fine tobacco. I will smoke a bowl in his honor.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The Balkan Sobranie Throwdown was in 2011; the John Cotton Throwdown was in 2012. There was no Throwdown at the Show in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.