PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I believed the nation-of-origin stamps, I enjoyed having distinct nationally produced pipes, and still do to some degree. I've always missed the boat on Canadian pipes, though that wasn't my intention. I like the Brigham designs a lot, traditional and rugged looking, but the maple rock inserts seem like one more item to keep up with. I think the Blatter and Blatter pipes are most alluring to me. But I have a load of pipes, love 'em though I do. Maybe a Blatter and Blatter pipe, if I must have another pipe.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I like the Brigham designs a lot, traditional and rugged looking, but the maple rock inserts seem like one more item to keep up with.
Not an issue. Brigham has maintained the same size over the years and the fit is excellent. The price is very reasonable as well. No regrets on my Brig purchase, however there's no noticeable difference in how it smokes. Smokes fine, as most of my other pipes do.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yup, not an issue. And if you don't wanna bother with the insert you can smoke it without it, with the added bonus that the draught hole isn't so enlarged without it that you'd need an adapter.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was at a B&M in Portland a few months ago and they had a sale on Brighams. I snagged one of these:
002-491-2384.jpg

Forgive the vultured pic, I don't have time to host a pic of mine. I will try to post one later though.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Brigham has maintained the same size over the years and the fit is excellent
I have found that one of my Brigham pipes won't easily fit the full filter in the mouthpiece, I need to either give it a twist/push or cut off 1/4"....Weird....though it doesn't affect the function.
Wow, that Norseman sure is a fine looking pipe. Must add that to my potential unobtanium PAD list.
I stumbled upon it during one of my searches for a Canadian made, 'Plateau' top Brigham pipes. The auction ended without any bids, and was relisted with "Make an Offer". Paid for it in line to go see the Lion King show at Walt Disney World...Happy Anniversary to me!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Ugh, that Norseman is one of Brigham's top-end pipes, from the late 60's to 70's. That is a sweet pipe. I have a one myself. Do you mind my asking what is went for? I bet you got a good price on it.

Your other pipe shown above looks to be a Brigham President pipe, the Boardroom model if I'm not mistaken.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I may have said many moons ago in this extensive thread, I've never understood the maplerock insert. I'm sure it is functional, since many like these pipes. I just don't need another item to clean and buy. I've long admired Brigham pipes, and if it weren't for the insert probably would have bought one, especially when they were made in Canada (aren't they farmed out these days as are most brands?). If I were Canadian, I'd buy one as a patriotic duty.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Again, no big deal with the insert. Just don't use it. Unlike other filtered pipes, you don't have to use an adapter with Brighams if you want to smoke filterless.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
mso489 - Hi Tom, few points of clarification on Brigham's Rock Maple Distillators:
As Olkofri has pointed out above, many do not use the inserts at all; therefore, and in that case, there is nothing to buy and keep in supply - as the pipe would now be used like any other non-filter pipe.
If one wished to filter their pipe with a paper filter, as opposed to the rock maple distillators a 9mm will not fit a Brigham, but a 6mm may - I do not know, as I have never tried it myself.
As far as using the distillators is concerned: They are much more durable than the standard pipe filter, and taking a wet distillator out of a pipe (after 1/2 dozen or more bowls), and wrapping it tightly in a small piece of paper-towel - where the moisture and tar is then transferred from the distillator to the paper-towel as the distillator dries out in a day or two, one can get about 20 changes out of each distillator before they become dark brown and no longer able to absorb.
They basic key to this trick is to not let anyone distillator get too nasty before a rotational change, and swapping it out with a fresh (or dried-out recovered one) each time you finish smoking that pipe for the day. This takes about 10 seconds to perform the change-out.
It's a very easy matter to keep a rotating supply of fresh, drying, and recovered distillators on-hand.
In action, out of standard package of 8 distillators ($3.00/pk at P&C or SP, etc), one fresh would be in your working pipe, one wet one would be rolled up in a small piece of paper-towel drying out, and one dried one would be ready-to-go when next needed.
So, if you get 20 changes out of each distillator with this simple paper-towel method - YMMV - you might get 60 changes (60 changes of 6 bowls per change) or, 360 bowls smoked, before you would have to start 3 brand-new distillators out of the new box, for another 360 bowls; and still have 2 brand-new distillators remaining from the box of 8.
This is highly cost-effective; and you generally use less pipe-cleaners as well.
You are correct about the pipes in the line no longer being made in Canada. Brigham uses a vendor in Italy for it's lower-tier lines, and France for it's upper-tier lines.
Brigham's US distributor is Sutliff.
So my friend, there you have the whole story on the Rock Maple Inserts, et al.
I hope that helped answer your questions - Sherm Natman

Reactions: yanoJL

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am a fan of their wood filter system, it makes for a nice dry smoke for me. The filters are fairly cheap (even in Canada). In fact when I bought my box of them, the kid behind the counter looked as if no one had ever bought one before as he didn't know the price.
I only have the one I posted in my rotation, but there is another in my cyber-collection, sitting in my basket on smokingpipes.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Dang it... I just put the PAD monster to sleep.
I’ve been eyeballing Brighams for awhile now as I do use filters often, especially on heavy smoking days.
The Pad monster awakens...

munkybarz

Lurker
May 18, 2019
Here is a photo of my 5 best friends. They are all Brighams made in Toronto. Having been born and raised in Toronto it used to be fairly easy to get these lovely pipes, but it's getting a little tough these days. The oldest is the big fella at the bottom left, it's a 'patent period' pipe which is between 1938 to 1955. The long oval shanked one is from between 1956 to 1969. The middle one is my daily pipe, mid 1970's, while the other two are more recent, 1989 and 1991. Amphora Original for the win.
brighams_orig.jpg