PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Ash, how bad was the finish on the pipe affected? Minimal, moderate, etc.? Did a good wipe restore some of the shine? Or is it decidedly worse for wear?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I like this. Keeps the forum interesting.

In the whole flushing debate one thing I wonder is how the outside finish holds up regardless if the integrity of the briar holds.

Anyhow, thanks Davet and Ashdigger! I'll look forward to the results and the resulting debates.

In the whole flushing debate one thing I wonder is how the outside finish holds up regardless if the integrity of the briar holds.

First, it's not a debate... some of us do it, some don't, and then a third group constantly post negative things when we talk about it. No one is trying to convince anyone else.
However, if you are curious, my pipes used to get dull after smoking them a few times. I guess the briar was absorbing the wax. Even after freshly waxing them, after smoking it a couple of times, it was dull. When I started rinsing the pipes and then buffing them with a dry clean towel, they seem to be keeping their shine better. But, I attribute this to the buffing with a towel when done. There is no way a millisecond's worth of water and then instant drying with a towel would have any effect at all on the finish.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on how the pipe is finished. Doesn't affect stain. Doesn't seem to affect buffed on carnuba wax. However, it will affect Halcyon and Paragon, and probably other microcrystalline waxes. Re-applying those is no big deal.
I use a very small stream to flow through the chamber and shank, so very little water gets on the exterior. And if some does spill over, clean up is no big deal.
People who haven't actually tried this method are in no position to render an informed judgement concerning whether it works or not. They're pretty much limited to their personal fears surrounding it.
And has been pointed out, as interesting as these experiments are, they in no way relate to performing a warm water rinse.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I perform the water rinse often. I flush with the stem in place, warm water for about 4-5 seconds. Then I wipe with paper towels and run a pipe cleaner through the stem. Works for me and it's quick and easy.
Debate or not, I'm enjoying tbis thread and look forward to the final results.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I see "debate" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps what I meant to type was "discussion". At any rate I am interested in the results of the test by Davet and Ashdigger.

Thanks as always to the erudite members of this esteemed forum and humble apologies for any offense.

I see "debate" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps what I meant to type was "discussion". At any rate I am interested in the results of the test by Davet and Ashdigger.

Thanks as always to the erudite members of this esteemed forum and humble apologies for any offense.
No need for apologies, as I suspected, people would use this "experiment" as some part of the "discussion" about washing pipes. My post was to reiterate that this has nothing to do with that discussion. No offence was taken by me. I am just going to keep reminding folks, so as to not confuse the two things. :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
FWIW, After I pulled the briar out of the water and used a paper towl to sop up excess water and then weighed it. After I weighed it I cleaned out the shank.
The shank has never been cleaner.
When I get back tonight I'll weigh the pipe and check the stem fit.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
The shank has never been cleaner

Even if you swab it with some alcohol? I remember a photo of similar totally different experiment: somebody cleaned a pipe with some "secret liquid" and after testing its effect with a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol it still came out dirty.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I do think it qualifies as a debate. I may be wrong, but I saw this as an attempt to go to the extreme in order to establish a border from which we can shrink inwards toward a conclusion. The debate being, “Is water detrimental to a pipe, or not.” There are plenty of variables, and this fun experiment doesn’t deal with many of them, but the results will be very interesting, even outside of the “detrimental or not” debate. Experimenting is fun! As is debating. I’m having a great time following along.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here we are 12 hours later. 6:16 pm (PST). The pipe weighs 36 grams. The stem is still loose in the shank and the finish looks like shit. REMEMBER.....these are OBSERVATIONS and not CONCLUSIONS. As I was typing this (after the photo) the pipe now weighs 35 grams. That's the same as when this started.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The debate being, “Is water detrimental to a pipe, or not.” There are plenty of variables, and this fun experiment doesn’t deal with many of them, but the results will be very interesting, even outside of the “detrimental or not” debate. Experimenting is fun! As is debating. I’m having a great time following along.
Good points. We're trying to overcome over 100 years of merchants shouting "Water will ruin your pipe!! Oh, by the way, we have some alcohol based stuff that will sweeten your smoker, rid it of all tar, give it a nice sheen. And fix your ulcers and grow back your hair all at the same time."

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I took this thread merely for entertainment purposes. Am I missing something?
NedThereAre.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.