Bonjour from Montreal! And... looking for Blatter tobacco information!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
New Accessories
71 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

noorm

Lurker
Dec 3, 2022
Hello!

I've been a pipe smoker for less than 24 hours... (been smoking/vaping a lot of other things for a long time)... and it's of course all very entry level, "regular" pipe, mild aromatic tobacco:

Blatter.png

That... kinda got me confused about the tobacco a little bit. I've seen that Blatter used to get their blends from Lane... but this one is marked Sutliff/Brigham. So... I searched a little bit and found this thread: Sutliff and Brigham Tobaccos :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/sutliff-and-brigham-tobaccos.82479/

So... that's why I'm here.

If I had to take a wild guess, this "Exécutif" tobacco would be Sutliff 1M... don't know the corresponding Brigham name yet. Next time I go to Blatter, I'll ask the guy (it was Patrick yesterday)... and when that package is empty I'll remove the plastic wrapper with the Québec/Blatter stickers and see it there is any Brigham marking on the package underneat.

And of course... I'll be searching the forums more!

Last edited:

noorm

Lurker
Dec 3, 2022
Turn out... the Blatter sticker was easy to remove without comproming the plastic packaging...

Blatter Exécutif IS Mr. B's Own (Brigham)

Reactions: gervais

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! At least you got started right. The pipe is serviceable and the tobacco decent. Remember not to pack your pipe so tight and to smoke slowly.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

When we visited Montreal back in June, I was fortunate enough to visit Blatter & Blatter and pick up a pipe and some Blatter Reserve tobacco. The packaging on the Reserve is a bit more generic than yours and doesn’t really offer any information on which house might’ve produced the blend.

IMG_20221204_124224.jpg

IMG_20221204_124234.jpg

I’d be curious to learn if it’s truly a unique blend, or a repackaging of a known bulk.

noorm

Lurker
Dec 3, 2022
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

When we visited Montreal back in June, I was fortunate enough to visit Blatter & Blatter and pick up a pipe and some Blatter Reserve tobacco. The packaging on the Reserve is a bit more generic than yours and doesn’t really offer any information on which house might’ve produced the blend.

I’d be curious to learn if it’s truly a unique blend, or a repackaging of a known bulk.

Here's the big reveal, under the blatter sticker:

Brigham.png

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Dunno if Mr Bs Own is the same as Executif or if they ran out of pouches and restickered some.
On TobaccoReviews a reviewer states, "Executive is a re-branded and tweaked Lane's 1Q. If you've smoked 1Q, you've more or less smoked Executive."

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Hello!

I've been a pipe smoker for less than 24 hours... (been smoking/vaping a lot of other things for a long time)... and it's of course all very entry level, "regular" pipe, mild aromatic tobacco:

View attachment 185137

That... kinda got me confused about the tobacco a little bit. I've seen that Blatter used to get their blends from Lane... but this one is marked Sutliff/Brigham. So... I searched a little bit and found this thread: Sutliff and Brigham Tobaccos :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/sutliff-and-brigham-tobaccos.82479/

If I had to take a wild guess, this "Exécutif" tobacco would be Sutliff 1M... don't know the corresponding Brigham name yet. Next time I go to Blatter, I'll ask the guy (it was Patrick yesterday)... and when that package is empty I'll remove the plastic wrapper with the Québec/Blatter stickers and see it there is any Brigham marking on the package underneat.

Welcome from Laval :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Blatter pipe looks snappy. I wish I'd stopped by there when I was in Montreal in 2006. The art museum is excellent, and I enjoyed the St. Lawrence river cruise with some snappy piloting around those rock protrusions.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello!

View attachment 185137

"Salut" from Montreal! I'll be curious to know what Patrick said - it seems there was a reason they had to have their tobacco blends made elsewhere. That being said - what a wonderful place! I have three of their pipes, (for the moment,) and they smoke amazingly well - a Canadian like yours, but semi-rusticated, a Poker and a bent Dublin. We are truly blessed to have such legendary pipe makers in our city. The first tobacco I ever smoked was their Reserve Blend - very nice one.