PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Anthony, that is the real deal indeed!

Music is in this interesting time when genres are blending seamlessly. I love it.

Thank you!
Don

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great pics, you are quite the photographer! I love certain types of Bluegrass (the real deal) but it can also swing in a direction that I can’t stand.
What’s the name of the band that does Metallica Bluegrass covers? That stuffs pretty dope.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Oh, I will be hearing banjo music in my head for the next 2 months! in my sleep... awake

:)
Thanks hawky!

Don

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony, that is the real deal indeed!

Music is in this interesting time when genres are blending seamlessly. I love it.
I'm not 100% sure if they are Bluegrass inspired Metal, or Metal inspired Bluegrass :rofl: But it's certainly fun to listen to!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Saw Del play years ago at Merlfest and it was an amazing show! Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Nice photos. I miss attending the bluegrass festivals of my HS and college days. The Florida festival at White Springs, FL on the Suwanee River, the Hahira pick-in, the New Years bluegrass festival on Jekyll Island, Rabuns Gap festival, Bear on the Square in Dahlonega, Armuchee festival.......most were pipe friendly but cigarettes, not so much. Some damn good BBQ was always on the menu...and fried catfish...the food kicked ass.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
That looks like a heck of a show. Always loved Yonder Mountain. Grisman is someone I always recommend to folks maybe a little "prejudiced" against the Bluegrass, his stuff is so jazzy and sweet. Thiles is playing all over with everybody these days and bringing virtuosity. He has a few tube videos playing Bach and such.
Where I am in life right now, though, I've not been doing factory work for a little while now, no noisy environment all day, but still kind of seeking acoustic music with some pretty harmonies… I've been listening to quite a bit of I'm With Her lately.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My restaurant up there does a small sponsorship, we have a chamber event here, and I can't attend the Cumberland show. That show has been around for decades I think and a real boon to the area. We just bought the Fairfield Inn in downtown Cumberland, I'm sure that is full next weekend. String Cheese Incident and Railroad Earth are on the bill this year, I'd love to see either of those bands. Those are great photographs!
We lost the Western Maryland Blues Festival this year, it had been running continuously since 1994. Bad weather the past five years in a row knocked down attendance and ultimately doomed the show. I was on the board for the first decade, and met some fabulous artists (Johnny Winter and Luther Alison standout the most). I hate to see opportunties to see live music diminish.
Have a blast, I'll look forward to seeing your updated photos.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you Dave.

I'm With Her is playing this year, and I am very much looking forward to that!
Al,

I think it is great you are involved in Cumberland activities. I was born and raised there.

We would love to have a nice Blues Festival up here in Harrisburg!
Don

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Nice shooting Don. Are you a pro ?
That was an....um....interesting link Anthony. Guess I'm more of a traditionalist. There's a little band up the road here named Hot Rize.....

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Hi trout,
Yes, I started when I was a youngster at the age of 12. I got my first job when I was in high school, 1986 working for a local, old school portrait photographer. He taught me lighting and film processing, 35mm, 120, and 4x5 film. I have been fortunate to continue to work in the field that I love so much.
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here are my favorites from the weekend.
18541760-orig.jpg

18541763-orig.jpg

18541764-orig.jpg

Sierra Hull
18541765-orig.jpg

Allie Kral - Yonder Mountain
18541766-orig.jpg