PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looking forward to it!

giphy.webp

Upon peeling back the aluminum pop top, there is a prevalent note of vinegar presumably given off by the Virginia's. Delicious! This is followed by a nice hit of Latakia, then Orientals. Is that an alcohol topping I smell? This has been very pleasant on my olfactory senses so far.

After getting the layers of paper off the top I stick my nose right up in there and smell old-school canvas, like WW2 canvas in an Army Surplus store and rich oiled saddle leather, along with a bit of the permanent markers we used to sniff in grade school. I loved that smell..... I am loving this tin note! It's making my mouth water.

It's a perfect Kake square so I cut off a piece with my plug cutter (I know, unnecessary but very satisfying to use puffy) and ball it up in the palm of my hand. It crumbles nicely and is on the dry side which is exactly how I like my smokes. Our "Good Friend Bradley" would call it Goldilocks. I think I will use the Dunhill Root Briar Dublin as the pipe is on the narrow and deeper side and it smells like it has a lot of virginias.11028

I load the pipe using the 3 step method with a thumb press at the end, test my draw and WHOOMP There it is! RUM! Thar be rum in this here to-bacco!? Maybe I will just suck on this unlit pipe. It's quite pleasant.... Nah, better head out to the Man-Cave and light this baby up!11029

After the char light and relight, I draw it in and could immediately taste the rich smokiness of the Latakia and the rum. The Orientals round out the experience with a very creamy finish. I couldn't help not wanting to smell it as much as smoke it. There is a sweetness from the Virginia as well as a tickle in the nose. There's plenty of vitamin N but not so much as to make me dizzy. The blend behaved very well in the pipe and I was able to sip a Group 4 pipe for 70 minutes. 70 minutes of excellence. If this is a Lat Bomb, I like Lat bombs!11030

This a a spectacular smoke and I have just ordered a pound of it to stick in my cellar. This is going in my regular rotation. It's a fine smoke at a great value

Embers, I am officially applying to be your rigger but I don't swab.....

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.