Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Flakey
I've also wondered what happened to the women, although I believe there is one who occaisionally posts (forgot her name, sorry)
2 weeks ago our cleaning 'couple' came in with the son of 9 years old. I don't see him often but several times he's mentioned how smoking is bad for me.
So on this occasion, I decided to gently inform him of the differences between smoking cigarettes and pipes and cigars.
My wife let me have it while she drove me to the train to work. "Please don't tell him that smoking pipes is good" or something like that. I mentioned to her that I did not say that, but there was no listening on her side.
After 43 years of marriage, I decided to leave it alone. I won't win. :)

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I met my neighbor-friend's kids the other week, who are approximately eight and twelve. The younger one asked me what my pipe was, so I told him it was a tobacco pipe for smoking. He responded by asking "So it's like cigarettes, but different?" Though probably not the best thing for an eight-year-old to be interested in, in a way, I was proud of him for discerning some kind of notable difference in piping and cigarette smoking, at eight years old.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend not to smoke in public, not out of consideration of my fellow citizens, but because I am usually

busy and not in a mood to enjoy what to me is a contemplative activity. I smoke a pipe to recover from

the annoyance of other people's doings, such of it as annoys me. And, honestly, probably to recover from

the many and various ways I annoy myself. That's the part we generally edit out of our thinking. Most of

the stereotyping I experience these days is ageist stuff, and most of that comes from really young kids for

whom anyone over 40 looks ancient.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Lots of guys at my college smoke, so it's not that novel, but what I smoke is. EVERYONE here smokes aeromatics (nothing against them, just noting their popularity), and I usually get different and, oddly enough, positive reactions to my latakia blends. The other night at a garden party, I walked up to a friend and fellow smoker who commented "Oh, there you are, I smelled that tobacco a few minutes ago and thought, 'Yep, Austin's here.'"

I have to admit I'm a bit proud of it, for some reason.

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
any of this has yet to happen to me, but the other day I was smoking my churchwarden in my truck and got a stare from a police officer next to me.

:nana:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I haven't had any negativity towards my public pipe smoking. If anyone does say anything it is about how good it smells. There are some occasional prolonged stares, but otherwise I am left alone. I don't try to make a show of it either though; I break out my pipe of the day, pack a bowl, fire it up and enjoy until my next class or the train home.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I got a lot of dates because I smoked a pipe, especially when I was in college often because I was just about the only guy on campus who smoked a pipe. In those days, you could smoke in the dorm, during classes, and in the library, all of which I did. Pipe smoking was a real chick magnet for me.
One day, about 10 years or so after college, I was walking and smoking when a woman came up to me and said, "I remember you. We went to school together. You were the pipe smoker."

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Was in (or dragged in) a night club in Amsterdam, started lighting up my peterson. This guy comes up to me and says (knowing i'm british) "in Amsterdam, if somone was smoking a pipe like that, first of all it wouldn't be as nice as that, and secondly it wouldn't have tobacco in it" and then he listed all of the drugs which could be in the pipe. What amused me is that I got the pipe in Amsterdam, in the famous store of the pipe museum. (side note: prices aren't that great)

Status
Not open for further replies.