PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Thanks for all the responses. 2 passing thoughts:

1. A pipe may or may not be a "Chick magnet". I do assure you it is a "Hen magnet". You decide

the value in that.

2. Perhaps someday, your ageing grandchild will compliment a future pipe smoker for reminding

her/him of YOU.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
I was in park last year in Williamsburg VA and and a few people called the police stating someone was smoking pot. The cops were cool and we had good laugh.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
When I was a teenager back in the late 60s and early 70s, I smoked a pipe when most of my classmates were smoking cigarettes. I would smoke Carter Hall during the week while I was working on the farm or going fishing Sundays but Friday and Saturday nights were reserved for Amphora Red Full Aroma. I struck up several conversations with young ladies who were fascinated by the pleasant aroma of my pipe. No, I never approached the success of Hugh Hefner but I did meet some fair maidens.
These days I seldom smoke a pipe in public but when I do I get the "reminds me of my grandfather" reaction. Being a grandfather myself, that doesn't bother me at all. One thing I have found out: if I'm smoking a Kirsten or Falcon, young people assume I'm smoking reefer. I guess it's because the appearance of the metal pipes reminds them of a pot pipe. I also seldom use snuff in public because people assume I'm snorting cocaine.
Smokey

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like snuff, too, but a metal dude taking a little box out of his leather, honking something up his nose and saying, "Aah, yeah, that's a good one!" gets me the wrong kind of attention as well.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
The younger guys will find that women are attracted to a man with a pipe...

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
The last reaction I got was from a guy at work who has seen me outside many times smoking different pipes. He finally spoke and one of the questions that stuck with me was "does it make you feel more calm". The other question was where is a store where he could look at them. The usual reaction is a prolonged glance with a look of "have not seen anyone smoking a pipe in a REAL long time". Maybe it is a look of wondering if I am smoking pot...and if they could get away with it...

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I mainly smoke while waiting in line at the school to pick up the kids. The teachers who make sure the kids are in the same order as the cars LOVE the pipe. I even invited one to our local pipe club but she didn't show. The teacher at my daughter's school prefers Odyssey and the teacher at the boys' school prefers Whiskey Biscuit Gravy.
Last time I was at the mall, Shaun was taking me to dinner at PF Chang's and the line was HORRENDOUS. We sat outside and smoked and when he walked in to the restaurant to check on the time, a couple of young ladies approached me to ask about what kind of pipe I was smoking and what tobacco it was. I guess I smelled better than their cigarettes. ;)
I have yet to be accosted by antis for smoking in public or around my kids. *shrugs*

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
I'm still a noob and afraid to smoke in public. I'm afraid me being young and not having a beard will bring the wrong reaction when people see me with a pipe :) The most public smoking I'll do is during my lunch breaks when I'll go off by myself to my special break area near a Best Buy parking lot where there aren't many people around and smoke a bowl. Oh, I also smoke in my car when my girlfriend is driving. I need to improve my smoking skills before I'm confident enough to smoke while driving.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Light up the biggest bowl you got with the biggest Lat blend and find a public park.
Find a spot, lay down a blanket, and start smoking, eating, drinking, and/or reading!
That's an order.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
bryanhayn,

I believe the word for what you are doing is called "skulking". You go down to the nearest barber-shop, gather the floor-sweepings, and glue yourself a beard.
Don't mind me, I'm never serious; I tried it once and it made me unhappy.........

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Bryanhayn, I started smoking a pipe in my early twenties and like you felt self conscious about it. Worried about what people might think. Now as a young man in my forties I actually kind of like going out of my way for the attention. Just the other day I got the "Your pipe smells so good" comment from a woman while out in public.
In this day and age I believe it's time for the old sterotype to die away. And judging by the many younger pipers on the forum I think proves it. So I think Spartan is right -Go out and puff proud, don't hide.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I'm at the Atlanta Pipe club last week, and one of the cool things there is that you can set up a table and sell pipes. So I'm standing there and this little handicapped guy with crutches on both arms hobbles over to my table, he is not a member of the club, and asks me about pipe smoking. He says, "tell me about the health risks between say cigarettes and pipes." So I tell him the differences. Then I say, "well are you interested in trying out pipe smoking?" He says, "nah, if I start smoking I think I'll just smoke pot, I hear it has a lot of medical benefits." To which I said, "but tobacco is legal and smoking pot is against the law." To which he replied, "F#*@ the law" as he hobbled off.
I didn't offer to sell him any of my beautifully restored pipes for his up and coming habit. My buds standing by thought it was hilarious and told me it was good that I didn't sell him drug paraphanalia, as they never would have let me live it down.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Personally I have gotten compliments out in public. Since I run the pipe club here, I have pretty much converted all of my friends so its often that we are all sitting outside of a restaurant smoking and have people come up and compliment the smell of our smoking.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Now as a young man in my forties
I like that attitude Mike! I too am a "young man in my 40's"... I'm gonna steal that line from you sir. Thank you!!
Now if I could only get my knees to believe me...

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
My job casues me to interact with poeple all the time. So when I'm not working I like a bit of peace. My pipe indeed causes people to approach me while I'm trying to relax and unwind to that end I have taken to not smoking much out in public.

wrangler

Lurker
Sep 15, 2013
Friends kid brother asks me if I'm a sailor.

I tell him no.

He says," Then why do you have popeye the sailor mans cigarette in your mouth?"

Sure felt nice

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Wrangler, how the hell did you find this great original thread? I can't even find my way beyond the first page!! LOL But I am IT inept and probably need help!
A thought, though; I've been on site for three weeks and have seen a lot of great posts, but none from women? This thread of a year ago has two posts from women! Where have they all gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.