PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Weird how someone could take a totally benign post completely unrelated to anything sociopolitical and derail the conversation with some deranged, hate-filled ramblings... on a forum where political discussion (sans tobacco legislation) are prohibited, no less.

Well, someone sure is obsessed with others' use of gender pronouns, and it isn't the "they/them" crowd.

Gleefully setting at least one asshole here to "ignore." Hoping the mods will shut this shitshow down.

Right on schedule. rotf

Calm, informed discussion that disrupts The Narrative cannot be tolerated.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Right on schedule. rotf

Calm, informed discussion that disrupts The Narrative cannot be tolerated.
So drawing a direct parallel between a group of people and Jeffrey Dahmer qualifies as calm, informed discussion? Sounds more like deliberate, calculated demonization to me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’ve investigated over 3,000 fires in 18 years of work. One involved a butane lighter igniting and rupturing in a pocket.

Mind you, it’s was altered to resemble a candle by removing certain components.

The “victim” related he did the mods so he could cook his heroin.

It was in his pocket when he fell down steps and when he landed against a rail it activated.

I couldn’t believe it. The victim then showed me how to modify a lighter with the spare he carried.

Oh, the reason I got involved was a nurse who was walking by was injured and she filed a claim.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So drawing a direct parallel between a group of people and Jeffrey Dahmer qualifies as calm, informed discussion? Sounds more like deliberate, calculated demonization to me.

The Dahmer reference was simply because everyone is familiar with the name, which made the flawed lawyerly agument "everyone dies so murder is no crime" clear without further explanation.

As for "deliberate, calculated demonization", that looks a lot like one of those "wicked flee when no man pursueth" moments.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It is what's behind the attempted rules change that is causing people to care about it.

Saying that "language changes over time" simultaneously side-steps and dismisses the issue.
So are you suggesting that language changes should actually be expected to make some kind of sense?

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob
Aug 1, 2012
Whatever. No one has to like what I wrote or how I wrote it.
The world is full of assholes who have to be right. There are so many on there high horses that we don't have a chance of reasoned discussion. You did what you had to do to keep your job and I've done the same to similar ridicule here. No point arguing with a zealot or a simpleton they won't be able to understand it anyway.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The world is full of assholes who have to be right. There are so many on there high horses that we don't have a chance of reasoned discussion. You did what you had to do to keep your job and I've done the same to similar ridicule here. No point arguing with a zealot or a simpleton they won't be able to understand it anyway.
Take it easy captain. Everyone understands about the OP, and no one is aiming anything at him. In fact I personally explained his verbiage on the first page of the thread before even he did.

Discussions evolve, and people like to philosophize just for the fun of it. Might want to examine the height of your own horse there. (btw, not to be picky, but it should be their high horse)

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I’ve investigated over 3,000 fires in 18 years of work. One involved a butane lighter igniting and rupturing in a pocket.

Mind you, it’s was altered to resemble a candle by removing certain components.

The “victim” related he did the mods so he could cook his heroin.

It was in his pocket when he fell down steps and when he landed against a rail it activated.

I couldn’t believe it. The victim then showed me how to modify a lighter with the spare he carried.

Oh, the reason I got involved was a nurse who was walking by was injured and she filed a claim.
Was that your only butane lighter case? If it was, have you heard of others?

Reactions: Egg Shen

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So are you suggesting that language changes should actually be expected to make some kind of sense?

Makes sense insofar as a slow, natural process where acceptance is general vs. a militarized ramming of a rule, word, or phrase that is irrational by definition down the majority's throats by a small group. (Get with the program or we will cancel and destroy you!)

Like so:

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.08.08 PM.png

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Makes sense insofar as a slow, natural process where acceptance is general vs. a militarized ramming of a rule, word, or phrase that is irrational by definition down the majority's throats by a small group. (Get with the program or we will cancel and destroy you!)

Like so:

View attachment 233051
Yep...the once great state of Michigan...absolutely boggles the mind.

And if you recognize that for the psychotic totalitarianism that it is, you'll be accused of being an extremist.

Aug 1, 2012
Take it easy captain. Everyone understands about the OP, and no one is aiming anything at him. In fact I personally explained his verbiage on the first page of the thread before even he did.

Discussions evolve, and people like to philosophize just for the fun of it. Might want to examine the height of your own horse there. (btw, not to be picky, but it should be their high horse)
The problem is that most discussions turn into the same old crap and our OP has been properly chastened for using the "wrong" verbiage. Look at his last couple posts to realize how much he's out of the discussion. The discussion of his heinous use of the English language will keep spurring more discussion about politics and get the thread shut down in short order. Cue the usual insults about intellect etc.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The problem is that most discussions turn into the same old crap and our OP has been properly chastened for using the "wrong" verbiage. Look at his last couple posts to realize how much he's out of the discussion. The discussion of his heinous use of the English language will keep spurring more discussion about politics and get the thread shut down in short order. Cue the usual insults about intellect etc.
I missed most of this thread today, and only had time to look through it quickly...but from what I can tell I don't think anyone was ever seriously criticizing the OP from the very beginning. Most of it was just a bunch of joking around (some of it very funny I might add) and the little bit of serious talk about grammar and the pronoun issue wasn't directed at him...his post just served as the springboard. If he took it personally that's unfortunate, but I don't think anyone meant it that way.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Weird how someone could take a totally benign post completely unrelated to anything sociopolitical and derail the conversation with some deranged, hate-filled ramblings... on a forum where political discussion (sans tobacco legislation) are prohibited, no less.

Well, someone sure is obsessed with others' use of gender pronouns, and it isn't the "they/them" crowd.

Gleefully setting at least one asshole here to "ignore." Hoping the mods will shut this shitshow down.
It would seem that they’re away at a moderator convention or something. I’d honestly like to hear more about exploding lighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.