PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I don’t buy in to the exploding lighter. My insurance company would hire a forensic engineer to look more closely into the cause. Was he smoking while filling the lighter, did he fall asleep while smoking or the extreme attempted suicide by lighter.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Any idea of what kind of lighter? I worked at a drop forge factory after high school & we were only allowed to have Zippos on the floor. Pressurized/butane lighters will explode if they get too hot.
No, I did not get an opportunity to ask many questions as my patient (singular) said, "I don't feel much like conversation."

Reactions: romaso and Scottmi

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I suspect the OP used those terms intentionally so as to not reveal the patient's gender for confidentiality reasons...HIPAA rules and all that.
This is correct. We are asked in my profession to refrain from using personal identifiers, such as names, ages, race, and gender, when discussing events outside of the care team. HIPAA takes precedence over good grammar. Besides, the patient's gender has zero relevance to the explosive properties of the lighter (although something tells me that if I were to reveal the patient's gender as female, some would say, "Ah, well, there's the problem!").

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
You said an elderly patient, but then referred to him in the plural seven times.

So, was it one guy, or two, or five, or an entire crowd? Did you mean to say "elderly patients"? Either that or you used a plural pronoun in error. (There is no "C")

Asking because an accurate idea of the (apparent) explosive power of lighters is important to many members of this board. (Modern matches get suckier every year)
Odd, I read the post and did not notice any discrepancy. Maybe I'm just used to "medical speak".

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is correct. We are asked in my profession to refrain from using personal identifiers, such as names, ages, race, and gender, when discussing events outside of the care team. HIPAA takes precedence over good grammar. Besides, the patient's gender has zero relevance to the explosive properties of the lighter (although something tells me that if I were to reveal the patient's gender as female, some would say, "Ah, well, there's the problem!").

You're aware that gender is a grammatical construct while sex is a biological one, right?

Since the former is impossible to physically encounter in an ER (or anywhere else), while the latter is impossible to avoid when dealing with any lifeform on Earth (outside of a few deep-water aquatic species that are both male and female at the same time, or can toggle back and forth depending on life phase), it looks like the HIPAA people are worried about something, well, kinda weird. Medicine being a "dealing with the real world" sort of activity, and all.

Last edited:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You're aware that gender is a grammatical construct while sex is a biological one, right?

Since the former is impossible to physically encounter in an ER (or anywhere else), while the latter is impossible to avoid when dealing with any lifeform on Earth outside of a few deep- water aquatic species that are both male and female at the same time (or can toggle back and forth depending on life phase), it looks like the HIPAA people are worried about something, well, kinda weird. Medicine being a "dealing with the real world" sort of activity, and all.
I think that the OP was doing it's own best to maintain that HIPAA thing, while still telling a good story. When someone uses a narrow opening like that to justify a delivering a screed on stupid pronouns/"they are coming to get us", not only is it rude to the OP, who was just trying to weave a tale and keep their job, but it just isn't a good look. Chill, man!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Odd, I read the post and did not notice any discrepancy. Maybe I'm just used to "medical speak".

Traditionally, with grammar, pronouns need to agree in number. "An elderly patient" is singular, so using "they" does not agree in number—it should typically be "he" or "she"—however, these days, gender fluidity and such appears to be bending the rules where usage of "they" is now acceptable when referring to one person. Language is constantly evolving and rules change.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Besides, the patient's gender has zero relevance to the explosive properties of the lighter (although something tells me that if I were to reveal the patient's gender as female, some would say, "Ah, well, there's the problem!").
Maybe, maybe not.
Women do struggle with lighters though, always have done.
IMG_3453.gif

• Wow
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Status
Not open for further replies.