PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I'll third Scottish Cake & throw Charatan Rolls, Chacom #6, & Peterson Irish Cask in the mix.

Reactions: Relax62

flyerdog

Lurker
Dec 12, 2013
As some of you may have seen from my previous post…. I’m really starting to enjoy VA’s, Va/Pe’s, and some VA/Bur’s. However, I’m finding that none of them are quite working for me, although the ones that got me started liking them are those that I purchased, smoked (didn’t like), and stored in a jar for the last 6-9 months, so just as everyone has said… aging does these blends a lot of good.

Do now that most, if not all, agree on aging Virginia blends… what’s the best you all recommend straight from a new tin. The #1 & 2 recommended ones will be ordered immediately. Please keep in mind… I’m just getting into Virginia’s, and while I don’t mind strong tobacco’s with great flavor, Right now I’m looking for something that smokes smooth and cool.
SPC Hogshead and Virginia Jazz. I also enjoy Royal Yacht and Orlik Golden Slices straight from tin

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I just realized the title only asked for va/pers, my apologies. Feeling under the weather. I read your post and posted va-based blends that I thought were ‘smooth and cool’ right out of the tin as opposed to exclusively va/pers.
Glad you did, because I should have included straight VA’s as I’m really starting to enjoy them as well!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Esoterica Dorcester #1 by miles and miles and miles...
Next, Viprati.
Match Victorian needed a few months in a jar before it 'woke up' for me.

Reactions: Relax62

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Well, I just get tossed between the mightyness of all the different options.
I dicide I totally enjoy Peterson DLNR... or St James Flake the most, until I get out the tin of Solani 633 and think that is surpsingly fantastic together with some Salty Dogs smokes in between.
Then I of course go for Director's Cut and decide this is prolly the one I will hang on to for a while now... Perhaps with some occational Cabbies Mixture pipes brought in for fun.
Or Old Fredders.
So, when (at last) I have decided on that—I bring out the old trusted Orlic Golden Sliced, fill the pipe, light it and fiddle around with and unopened tin of DLNR... and by Thor if that is not exactly what I need next.
Perhaps with some St James Flake later on.
And so it continues. Just how I like it.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im a vaper lover. I find Orlik rather boring. Just barely any perique. If I didnt say it earlier IMHO HU Directors Cut is the king of Vapers in the EU. It also is great straight from the tin. Always complex, always good. On a day where its the right tobacco its devine.