PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
vs creating a scarcity issue...
Haha, you can keep it. To my taste, although the reds are really nice, the lighter VAs in this have a slightly ashy taste, and in any case the dark fired keeps this from tasting like a true VaPer to me. Not my thing, but glad that so many of you like it.

Reactions: Relax62 and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Haha, you can keep it. To my taste, although the reds are really nice, the lighter VAs in this have a slightly ashy taste, and in any case the dark fired keeps this from tasting like a true VaPer to me. Not my thing, but glad that so many of you like it.
Since my tastes are still evolving, I know not what I may think of it in the future. Sometimes it changes...
But I also think that if I don't overdo it on one blend, it seems to hold it's "magic" for me a little longer and more consistently.
My best guess for my future palate is if I like it all the way through the tin. Some fade by that point for me, this one kept up the goodness.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If you're seeking out good quality Virginias that are excellent right out of the tin, three I would suggest are Peterson Flake, MacBaren HH Pure Virginia, and Capstan Flake (Blue).

If it's Va/Pers your looking for, three I would suggest are Escudo, Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls, and Sutliff 1839.

Hope you enjoy your adventure into Virginia blends.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
You will probably find there are more variables to what you are looking for specifically. I smoke Orlik Golden Slice most of the time. Not because it is the best per se, but because it is the best (to me) that first, does not fatigue my palate, second, doesn’t wallop me with nicotine and third, little to no prep time and easy burn management. There are a lot of other vapers I enjoy but only occasionally due to those factors.

You need to try a variety to find what works for you.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I thought the Rimboche blends were fantastic fresh. No longer around.

Deluxe Navy Rolls is decent fresh. Rouxgaroux is great fresh. Sutliff Match Victorian is good fresh.

It seems a lot of K&K produced blends have changed enough for old tastings to no longer be comparable or recommended (by me).

I haven't tried Greg Pease's Va/Pers fresh, but the man knows how to blend and I believe much of his catalog is definitely worth trying at least in exploration.

Other Va/Pers I prefer with age, even ones with aged components like Cringle Flake (still amazing fresh). St James definitely needs age imo. I've come to not like the new escudo much so I can't recommend that one fresh or otherwise.

Reactions: Relax62

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I really like Sutliff's 1849 tinned VaPer, it's decently cheap at $8 a tin and smokes well for me right from the get go.

Dunhill/Peterson Elizabethan I've always found to be a reliably very decent if not always spectacular VaPer. It's never blown my socks off but I like it as an all day smoke. It's always available as well.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Not everyone's tastes are going to be the same. I wouldn't suggest more than half of these. First off, by "straight from the can" mean that you don't want to have to dry them? Second, you place a lot of trust in the taste of strangers.

I mean, most of these are quality tobaccos, but if you mean no drying time, even the best smoke that meets you tastes, can be steamy and unpleasant if too much moisture is left in the tobacco. I personally prefer my tobaccos to be almost bone dry to bone dry.
Great point! To clarify… I didn’t mean “no dry time”. I meant… receive a new tin, open it, dry it to one’s preference, then load and smoke. I’m looking for the best one (s) that are good, smooth, and don’t require years of aging to be a great tasting smoke.

SendoT

Lurker
Jan 14, 2024
Paris - France
For me, fresh, you can forget all C&D and Pease. These blends are totaly imbalance and need some times to improve.

Fresh, you have HU director's cut and louisiana broken who aged really well but are delicious young too .
You can try the crumble cake vaper from Sutliff or in other register the salty dog or trumblin dice from DTM.
Slice #8 from Perretti isn't bad fresh.

But if one day you can find synjeco blend like ambleside curly, Bad nun 2 or holker twist... It's maybe the best tobaccos are ever taste. But ... The production is discontinued 😭

Reactions: yanoJL