PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My best smoking pipe by far, better than my Dunhill, artisan carvers (although both are excellent) is a Brigham 427 Chinook. If factory is something you're considering, I would at least look there as well. Although I've heard amazing things about the Ligne Bretagne as well.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I like Ligne Bretagne - I bought that little bulldog that popped up a week or two back. But LB's are usually fairly small bowls (mine especially so), and the OP said he wanted bigger bowls. For larger pipes, I think the "sub-$200" price range is awkward. You're not going to find many artisan-made pipes in that range of any decent size, even in the semi-handmade lines like LB. And for factory pipes like Peterson or Savinelli, $200 is going to buy something functionally equivalent to a $100-$125 pipe just with a fancier band or marginally nicer finishing. I would recommend buying a ~$125 Peterson or Savinelli and putting the extra $75 away toward a future pipe in the $200-$400 range. For larger pipes, that's where you start to get a really nice selection.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Kane if you don't mind I like to offer a different idea, from the excellent advice already posted. Given the weak euro you might do well to look at some Italian pipes, I would wholeheartedly recommend L'Anatra and Tom Spanu.
If you are in the states and order from a European site you would also save a good percentage on the European tax, although I don't the rules regarding duty/tax while importing goods into the States.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
From I understand you should talk with peck, but if it were me I'd pick a nice high grade S Bang. You should be able to find a nice one for around $2000.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, check this out, deep chamber, and fairly large. I have two of his pipes, and love them! Will soon be adding one of his cherrywoods to my herd as well. :mrgreen:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/neerup/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=139261

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
All of these mentioned above, but since I have several of each, I can speak from experience. Any of the following will give a great smoke:
Boswell's. Handmade, artisanal. I have 3, and love them all
Mark Tinsky: ditto, and a great smoke.
Sebastian Beo: generally smaller bowl, as noted, but a great smoke, especially for Virginia tobacco
Icarus/Neptune: newcomers to the field. I have one of each, both excellent. Pushing the limits of your price point, but worth it.
L'Anatra: get the one where the goose's head is mounted on the stem, rather then embossed in it. With the weak euro you may indeed be able to do well by buying directly from a European dealer.
Peterson, Stanwell, Savinelli: I mention these together because they all group at about the same price point. I have quite a few of each; love them all.
In short, if you want to go up to $200, there is no shortage of pipes in the handcrafted or factory made category. Any of them will provide a great smoke, and once broken in, you will have a fine pipe that will last the rest of your life.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
the only thing I can add to all the above at that price point is the radice rind series.
well-crafted, lightweight and great all-around smokers.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I will have to agree with what prndl wrote. A Radice Rind pipe can be purchased for under $200 and they are fabulous smokers. Best bet for my money in that price range.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I don't buy new pipes as a general rule. I urge you to rethink a lightly used estate situation. You can get ALL kinds of Castellos, Dunhills, and artisan pipes in your range.
Also, Moretti has an ebay store. Often you can snipe one of those for less than $200 new. Those are also GREAT pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
I think you can get a rusticated Randy Wiley under $200. He is the most underrated carver in N. America because of his low profile. Does not attend shows, visit tobacconists, has no website to my knowledge. Smokingpipes.com probably has the best selection of his pipes.
He is certainly underrated. And I noticed that Mike at Briar Blues just listed an unsmoked, smooth, larger sized Wiley for $150. Good price if you are in the market.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Keep an eye on buy/sell/trade forum here at pipesmagazine. BUT do a little research on the seller and the piece before buying. Don't assume if you find it here you will not get screwed.
Now, that I'm finished with the disclaimer, I'b been happy with the products and service I purchased from other members.
I just bought a Savinelli Caramella Rustic 628 estate, very lightly smoked, from Josh, for less than $70 delivered. SP new is $104.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fs-brand-new-and-estate-savinellis-1-21-15
I don't know for sure but would suspect that the pipe will smoke as well as any other pipe listed here.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If buying a factory briar like a Peterson or Chacom, it would be best to buy one in a B&M so you can look it over for flaws. You might also want to check out an upcoming pipe show and take advantage of a great selection and great prices. Be patient and find a pipe you will love forever.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I am floored with all of these great pipes you all are referencing. I can see how one comes down with TAD or what ever you call it; can see how one could collect to no end!

Maybe one a month? one a quarter? one a year?
I am currently engaged with a nice deal on a Gabrieli, but man, so many beautiful pipes, so little disposable income!

I will keep you all posted on how things turn out, but please keep posting!

It's great to hear and see your recommendations and pipes.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.