PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Of course I'm talking about tobacco, not geopolitical history. Which Balkan blend is your favorite, which do you dislike and which would you like to try? I'm looking to buy a Balkan blend but I can't make up my damn mind.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm always dicey on the line between a Balkan blend and a regular English blend, but my all-time favorite full latakia mixture is GL Pease Westminster. It's superbly balanced, and always gives me the same satisfied feeling as eating a big bowl of pasta. And to top it off, it's readily available and pre-deeming date.
As far as a blend I dislike, I would say I don't ever intend to buy any more of Abingdon. It sacrifices a lot of Westminster's balance to achieve a little more fullness, but to me it's not worth the trade-off. Not bad, and many people love it, but it didn't flip the switch for me; not after I had experienced nirvana.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
These if you can find them.
20181123_222738.jpg

20181123_222040.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Margate, Exotique, Our Best Blend and Blackhouse. Though P.S. Balkan Supreme is quite good and very available. Also G.L.Pease’s Charing Cross is quite tasty.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Favorites: G.L Pease Kensington, Balkan Supreme, H&H Larry's Blend. Bengal Slices, if it qualifies.
I don't think I've disliked any Balkan blends. There have been some I wouldn't go out of my way to smoke again, but none I'd refuse a bowl of if offered. I'd agree that Abingdon wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
GLP Blackpoint and Hearth & Home Blackhouse are great blends to test out on your Balkan escapade. Soft sweet Virginias and lovely orientals on both of these blends trying to emulate the old Balkan Sobranie 759.
Comparatively speaking, Blackpoint has less edge than Westminster which tends more towards the robust spicy direction. Just depends on your mood.
For my thumbs down, I'd point to G&H Balkan Mixture. While perfectly acceptable for a mild Balkan, I find it uninteresting compared to the more lively blends I've mentioned.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
For Oriental heavy Balkans (like Balkan Sobranie white) I like H&H White Knight or Peretti Royal. For Latakia forward Balkans (like 759) I like H&H Black House, Peretti Tashkent, and Pease Caravan. One that, to me, is dead in the middle is John Cotton Smyrna.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My favorites are Whiteknight, Balkan Supreme, Tashkent, and Penzance, but Margate is almost as good, and readily available.

Oct 7, 2016
Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture has impressed me of late. Available in tins when it drops, which go pretty quick, but worth looking around for. 500 g bags tend to hang around longer.

Jun 23, 2019
I got to try some Gawith Hoggarth blends from this summers releases and they've all been pretty interesting. The Balkan in particular was quite tasty.
Personally, my favorite is Margate. But I do have a few McClelland tins I still need to try...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But latakia is, to some extent, still required, right?
Yes, just in significantly smaller proportions than the orientals. The oriental tobacco is the star of the show, but Latakia itself being a flavored oriental can cause even more confusion.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Balkan Blue, Tashkent, Omega. Hard to pick up wich one I like more, may be "Tashkent"? (there is some nostalgic feelings, I lived in Tashkent as a child :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.