PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Due to the reviews I've read I'm leaning toward White Knight. I see Balkan Supreme listed a few times in this thread yet the reviews were mixed.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
At 50% latakia, I'd call SOTE a lat bomb more than a Balkan.

Funny, when Russ pre-released WhiteKnight, everyone was saying how they loved it and appreciated how subtle the latakia was. Russ then told us that it and most Balkans were like 50% latakia. But, it is the balance of other leaf that tones down the latakia. The amount of latakia means diddlysquat. It's all in what it is mixed with.

I do like SOTE, and I keep a few pounds stored away for the winter months, but WhiteKnight is always a little higher in my mental rankings. WhiteKnight is what all other Balkans aspire to be, IMO.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Well from what Ive read on the forums, I dont think there actually is a general consensus on what makes a balken blend a balken vs an English. That being said I'm still working through some tins of black house and white knight. I like them well enough and I enjoy them, but I'm not 100 percent sure if they are my blend of choice, but then again I'll have to give it more time. Magnum opus is also really good but again, I dont know if it's my blend of choice nor do I know if it's a balken in the strictest sense of the word... I hate to be that guy, but right now I am on a spc plum pudding kick. It has everything a balken should have (I think?) But I dont know if some would consider it as much. I also have a soft spot for comoys cask 11, not that it partially stands out above the competition, but because it's one of the first blends of the style that I tired and liked. But I definitely would recommend every blend I've mentioned. Certain days certain blends are better than others. It's hard to choose just one

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The amount of latakia means diddlysquat.
Was just meaning proportion wise. The lat overshadows the orientals. Never cared for White Knight, but Peretti's Royal is a good one.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I suggest trying both Whiteknight and Blackhouse side by side. They’re both wonderful IMO. I’d also throw a vote for PS Balkan.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I actually like Abington the most of all the Pease Balkans (and I can’t recall one I did not like). I find Sutliff Balkan II to be my favorite bulk Balkan and challenges the best tins. I know that many members are high on Balkan Supreme. I rate this as a MOR Balkan, many better, many worse I can’t one that i hate but, Balkan Supreme that is not aged, does nothing for me.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I actually like Abington the most of all the Pease Balkans (and I can’t recall one I did not like). I find Sutliff Balkan II to be my favorite bulk Balkan and challenges the best tins. I know that many members are high on Balkan Supreme. I rate this as a MOR Balkan, many better, many worse I can’t think of one that i hate but, Balkan Supreme that is not aged, does nothing for me

Reactions: jpmcwjr and aquadoc

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I actually like Abington the most of all the Pease Balkans (and I can’t recall one I did not like). I find Sutliff Balkan II to be my favorite bulk Balkan and challenges the best tins. I know that many members are high on Balkan Supreme. I rate this as a MOR Balkan, many better, many worse I can’t think of one that i hate but, Balkan Supreme that is not aged, does nothing for me
Fresh Balkan Supreme is meh! I am hoping age will smooth out the edges.

Reactions: dcon

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The first company to use the term "Balkan" was Balkan Sobranie,long, long ago. Other companies then picked up the term to try to get some of that success.
I smoked a few tins of the old Sobranie OSM back in the early 1970s. The blend, now, that captures what that had, is H&H White Knight. Balkan Sasieni is a worthy candidate for that niche, too. I don't much care for the current iteration of Balkan Sobranie.
I gave up paying much attention to those labels, since there is no accepted definition.

Reactions: oldtoby and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.