PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
40. Bought a nice Meerschaum from Bennington's in Boca Raton to decorate my office, and wound up smoking it. Almost 10 years now. Lived 7 years in Chicago and didn't visit Iwan Ries until after I left. I've never smoked a cigarette or cigar; just a pipe.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I spent some time thinking about this (with my Sunday Pete) and I think that I have always been a little obsessed with pipes. I remember stealing Mr. Potato Head's pipe (he used to come with a pipe!) and "puffing" on that. Then in High School I found a pipe in the wardrobe department of my drama class, no one seemed to care that I appropriated it full time and carried it around in class. I smoked that pipe for a couple of months (not in class) and then I lost it :( . After that I smoked cigarettes for about 12 years or so and the pipe never really came up, but I was cruising eBay a few years ago and found a Mont Blanc Meerlined pipe that I fell in love with. I think I paid all of $30 for the pipe and carried and smoked it for about 6 months, then my wife accidentally broke it. I quit smoking pipe again for a while, my wife replaced that pipe with a Paronelli and I still have that pipe, but I never smoked it with any regularity.
My current run with pipe smoking started last month. I started looking for another Mont Blanc and found out that not only are they nearly impossible to find, but nobody's really heard of them! I was cruising over at the Tamp and Puff forum and there's a very nice gentleman who is quite an authority on Falcon pipes and these seemed great because of the interchangeable bowl, and various other benefits. I ordered one and thought that I'd just wait for it to show up, but then I saw a couple Petersons and now in the space of about a month I've gone from one pipe and a little bit of tobacco to this:
IMG_0139.jpg

So, to answer the question, 35 this go round. Sorry for the long winded reply LOL.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I started about 50. I don't remember anyone in college smoking pipes...for tobacco anyway. I was with my wife in a drug store. She said she liked the smell of cherry pipe tobacco. So we got a Dr. Grabow and some cherry pipe tobacco. I fiddled around with it some. Shortly after that I went to Belgium and came back with a bunch of Belgian and French coins that our local bank would have to send to NYC to exchange. I live two hours from NYC. So I hopped a bus, exchanged the currency, and somehow found Dela Concha where I bought a Nording and Dunhill tobacco and became a serious pipe smoker.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
19 for me.
I have been enjoying tobacco for a long time, way earlier in life than I should have. One of the gents that I shared cigars with surprised me with a pipe setup and a few tins of tobacco. I got started off right with a nice Peterson that I still enjoy smoking regularly.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I first flirted with the pipe back in the early 70's. Was in the Navy and sttod engine room watches with a Chief Petty Officer who smoked a pipe.He gave me a pipe and a Half & Half pipe tool and some Borkum Riff Whiskey. Didn't stay with it though. In 2005( at 55) I decided to try it again in order to get off the cigarettes. Since then I have been -as my wife puts it-"ate up" with pipes.

tim12string

Lurker
Apr 14, 2015
Tried my Dad's pipe for the first time at 9. Didn't get sick. LOVED IT! occasionally until age 19. I am 50 now and absolutely love smoking my pipe. Reminds me of my Dad. :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My very first puff, ever, was 32 years ago ... Prince Albert from one of my Uncle Frank's Stanwell pipes.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Would have sworn I posted on this thread.... Must have been one of the others of similar subject.
I was 18, October, 1963. freshman year of college.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ummm... let's see... I was around 30 when I bought my first pipe, but I liked the idea of a pipe more than actually smoking them. I revisited it at 37'ish and never looked back, well until you just asked. I then looked back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.