PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I know this has probably been beaten to death but are there any good aromatics that actually taste as good as they smell? Are there any that have a good nic level? Also, any suggestions for some good flakes?

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I almost bought some of that yesterday but went for another Peterson blend instead. University Flake does have a topping, correct? Is it less intrusive than other aromatics? I really am finding that I prefer something with a more natural flvor. Recently been smoking Orlik Golden Sliced.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 for Peterson's aromatics, even though I don't smoke aros as much anymore, the occasional little bowl or two out of a Peterson Belgique a couple times a week.
An awesome aromatic although a bit pricey is Solani Blend 369 , tastes just like it smells, on occasion the last half of the bowl turned to a very perfumed VA/Per when I smoke it.
Stokkebye makes good aros but they usually need some drying time.
I'm working on acquiring McBarens for a taste test, got several of their aromatic blends on the way in 1 oz samples.
Some folks here swear by Lane 1Q. It's a pretty decent smoke, one of the first tobaccos I smoked. I have expanded my palate since. They sell it at the grocery store here so it's not an issue of availability....

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome to the forum mk!
Peterson Sunset Breeze - Amaretto

Peterson Nutty Cut - rum, coconut and Macadamia nuts

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening - Pancake breakfast in your pipe. It'll blow your mind!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
MacBaren's Vanilla Cream flake is a good one for you to try. It has one of the best room notes of any tobacco I've had, and a mild slightly sweet flavor.
And so pipeinhand doesn't go out of business and I can no longer make orders ... Halfling's Leaf!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The OP asked three questions - one about aros, one about aros with high nic levels, and one about flakes. That's liable to send this thread all over the place. I don't smoke aros, so won't try to speak about those.
Uni Flake from Peterson is, as was noted, a burley flake. It is very lightly topped. It also has a good nicotine punch. Peterson's Irish Flake, a Virginia, has an even higher nic level, from my perspective.
Since the heading on this thread is "aromatics",perhaps the OP might want to do another thread on flakes. Both of these topics have multiple threads already, so a little digging might help him out.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Boswells makes some of the best aromatics ever. www.boswellpipes.com Berry Cobbler (most complex tasting of them all) is his best smelling, I also love Christmass Cookie, No Bite De-Lite (complex chocolate blend), and Raspberry Cream (strongest tasting of them all).

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Boswells makes some of the best aromatics ever. http://www.boswellpipes.com Berry Cobbler (most complex tasting of them all) is his best smelling, I also love Christmass Cookie, No Bite De-Lite (complex chocolate blend), and Raspberry Cream (strongest tasting of them all).
their Bear Blend and Northwoods(english) are my standards. Berry & Rasp are very good. I tried a sample of their Piper's Pleasure last order and I'm not sure about it yet. I'll be trying their maple in my next order but I don't think it will unseat Autumn Evening.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are a lot of quality aromatics out there -- the problem is there are far more bad ones. There are also some disagreements over what constitutes an aromatic. Some (like me) would say that Haddo's Delight, University Flake and Exhausted Rooster are aromatics, while others would disagree.

In any case, I highly recommend Shortcut to Mushrooms, Autumn Evening and Classic Burley Cake. Each of those is a 4-star blend, in my estimation, and each fits the classic definition of "aromatic."

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Just did an order last night for Autumn Evening, and McClelland's Best In Show. First time trying both, ordered Autumn Evening specifically due to the praise for it I've read on this board.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I've been smoking Trout Stream and that has a pretty good taste. I just don't get the "wow" factor, you know what I mean? I've also tried some of the Boswell blends, Christmas Cookie, Berry Cobbler and No Bite Delight. those are also pretty good. Bought a tin of Petersons Nutty Cut the other day. I'm not sure on that one yet.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I just don't get the "wow" factor, you know what I mean?
YUUUP!
I need to try some of the Boswell's offerings someday, I may need to make a pilgrimage down there. How do I spin a trip to Pennsylvania to the wife without raising suspicion?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
That might work! 8O
We had a Hershey plant about 30 minutes from Ottawa that we used to go to all the time, but it closed a few years back. Very sad. The tour sucked, but the chocolate was cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.