PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well as I have read that these blenders could no longer find the quality of leaf to produce the blends to their standards and as such passed on making further production runs, which part of my statement is not true!
Dunhill washed their hands of tobacco save luxury cigarettes to go on to produce luxury lines of clothing and accessories. The last true Dunhill pipes were produced in 2011. The Peterson/Dunhill blends are the same blends manufactured by STG just with a different label.

McClelland did close partly due to tobacco that didn't meet their standards and partly due to ending the company on a high note for retirement and to pursue other interests.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Pretty much 2023 to my understanding. I don't think it's become a big thing yet and that doesn't necessarily mean it ever will be.
I read that the primary issue was ongoing loss / diminishment of the wood needed for the "old" curing process. The "barbecue style" of curing is controlled like a massive electric smoker (simplified), and the use of the wood is cut back extremely dramatically. This allows them to continue processing the leaf with less environmental impact, and the millions invested into the process likely indicates it WILL become a thing...

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I
I read that the primary issue was ongoing loss / diminishment of the wood needed for the "old" curing process. The "barbecue style" of curing is controlled like a massive electric smoker (simplified), and the use of the wood is cut back extremely dramatically. This allows them to continue processing the leaf with less environmental impact, and the millions invested into the process likely indicates it WILL become a thing...
If they go about it like that, I don't think it's a bad thing in terms of producing a good product. It's definitely good quality latakia, just a bit softer as stated earlier. I think even jiminks felt the same way about it in one his reviews.